Camera wasnt functioning right

Robin Usagani

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sigh.. I just had an e-session and something went really wrong with my camera. First the AF didnt work on my 70-200.. I was like .. .fkkkk this is my fav. lens. The red lights turned on but it didnt focus. Put my 35L, same thing happened. Before I grabbed the 500D I decided to reset the setup to factory setting. That fixed it. Started shooting and my custom setting didnt work :(. The little joystic to change my focus pt didnt work. I went to custom function and after several tries it worked.

I hope the photos turned out good. I just hate it when I started on the wrong foot. Really messed up my mojo. Has anyone had this problem where the AF stopped working?

Sigh... Has anyone had this problem where the AF stopped working?

On my main camera, my Canon 5D, my (fairly new, bought new,lightly used,babied) EF 50mm f/1.4 sometimes has intermittent AF issues...it simply will NOT focus at times, and then it's good for a few months, then again it will not focus...I dunno...it will refuse to do any AF activity--it simply refuses to move the AF point forward or backward. I've never had that issue with any other of my Canon EF lenses on that body. Kind of frustrating. Since your problem spanned two lenses, a zoom and a prime lens, **maybe** the issue is the contacts on the camera body being ever so slightly unclean and perfect. Maybe you could clean the contacts and see if the problem can be re-created. And while you're at it, check the tension on all of the small screws that hold the lens mount itself onto the body, to see if maybe, just maybe, the lens mount is loose,and not making the lens contacts and the body contacts match up with the required amount of tension. A third thing you could check is to put the camera on B exposure time, and remove the lens, then press and hold the shutter button in,causing the mirror to swing up and to stay up, and then give the AF sensor, located at the bottom of the mirror box, BEHIND the mirror's down position, a blast of air from a bulb blower. Perhaps a fiber from clothing or some other "stuff" has settled on the very small AF sensor, which can mess up an AF system.

Ok i will try that. Hopefully it wont happen again. If it does, it better not to be at a wedding right at a really important moment!!

My nifty fifty wouldn't auto focus a few weeks ago. I was truly befuddled. Nothing I did fixed it, except putting the auto focus switch on the lens to AF.

True story.

I have done that especially on the 70-200 because when i let it hang, sometime it rubs on my pants and change to MF.

Hah, that's funny :) hope your problem dissolves, unfortunately I can't help.

Never had any problems with the 5D or any lenses, never clean the contacts or lenses, if it is not brocken don't fix it is my motto. One thing i do if not going to use manual focus is put some gaffer tape on the AF switch

Most reactions

New Topics

Back