Can 3rd party batteries cause damage to camera / running camera from 12v socket?

Seventen

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was given a battery today has nothing wrote on it just black. is there a risk that cheap batteries like this can cause damage to the camera? I know its most likely not going to hold much charge but another battery could be helpful as last 2 nights ran out of charge on both batteries.

Is there such a way I could run the camera from a 12v lighter socket? I am using live view for about 6 hours a night at moment.

Thanks

Is there such a way I could run the camera from a 12v lighter socket?

Off hand I know of no AC adapter that you can use. You could search for one, but IMO it would be safer to simply have multiple batteries handy or get a battery grip for your camera if it will accept one.

The grip didnt really help didnt make a perfect match and had some slight wobble in it great for normal use but when hanging of a telescope caused slight issues, so swapping batteries just fine just need a couple more.

A friend of mine uses such a thing for his Canon but he didnt know if Nikon had something like that, I tried to look but no luck on it I found some mains powered one from the wall socket but not a car power cord one. Been considering getting a very cheap canon for astroimaging as so many more benefits for canon.

But thanks for the link. Maybe just need to pile up on quite a few batteries.

I would never stick a non Nikon battery in any of my Nikon cameras but this is a personal decision as I have thousands of dollars in my camera bodies. Why would anyone risk using non-Nikon batteries just to save a couple bucks? JMHO....

I prefer Wasabi Power batteries to Nikon originals. They last longer and I've never had any problems. I've used two different Wasabi battery types with four different bodies over several years. Can't speak to any other 3rd party brands but Wasabi's rule.

Is there such a way I could run the camera from a 12v lighter socket?

Off hand I know of no AC adapter that you can use. You could search for one, but IMO it would be safer to simply have multiple batteries handy or get a battery grip for your camera if it will accept one.

An AC adapter wouldn't be any use on it's own, 12V supplies are DC.
However if you have a mains adapter available you could use it with an inverter, that converts your 12V DC to mains AC.

There are also power supplies available that have very wide input voltage limits (Some of my chargers will run on 240V AC & 12V DC)

SevenTen you don't mention which camera this is for, several of mine have a power socket for running from an external supply, which will be fine with any regulated supply that meets the cameras voltage/current requirements. One of those that doesn't can be run via external power by connecting direct to the battery terminals. In the past I made some dummy AA batteries to conect external power up to gadgets, not much use now everything seems to have a dedicated battery design.

Most reactions

Back