Can AF performance differ from one copy of a lens to another?

dorian7

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am just wondering because my friend and I noticed that my camera focused a lot faster and we have the same lens. So I tried switching with him and it seemed like my copy did focus a little faster. Is this typical? Or is it more about the body doing the AF work?

If you have different bodies then it's the body most likely.

There is a certain amount of variability that manufacturers cannot avoid when mass-producing consumer electronics.

There is more variability in consumer grade lenses, both camera maker and 3rd party maker, than in higher grade lenses.

The variability is caused by larger variance in materials and acceptable tolerances, quality control, and the fact more people are involved in the manufacturing and assembly of the consumer grade stuff.

For instance, Nikon has separate factories for its consumer grade and pro gear gear. The consumer grade gear factory(s) is in Thailand, while the pro grade factory is in Japan (Sendai).

If you drop a particular lens enough times, from high enough, and on the right surface(s), it will make your other lenses focus much FASTER and BETTER, by comparison!!!!

If you drop a particular lens enough times, from high enough, and on the right surface(s), it will make your other lenses focus much FASTER and BETTER, by comparison!!!!

Haha! I don't think that is a variable this time around.

I believe same thing apply to almost all the stuff we purchase, it just depends on how far off they are.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back