Can anyone identify this bird species?

Philmar

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Taken near Toronto, Canada... it was photographed nesting next to black cormorants and seagulls. I've been visiting this area for years but have only noticed them nesting this year. Unfortunately it was the best shot I could get - all the other nests/birds were obscured by even more branches.

Nesting birds - Leslie Street Spit by Phil Marion, on Flickr

That's George and Susan!

Black-crowned night-heron.

Thanks! Which one is George? :05.18-flustered:

George is on the lower right. If you see him again, tell him I'd like to get repaid that 20 bucks he borrowed from me.

Looks like Black-crowned night herons to me, neat find!
Were they at the Leslie Spit?

Very pretty birdies!

Yes indeed. I geotagged the photo in Flickr. There are quite a number of them nesting near the road, easy to spot - away from the cormorants and seagulls.

Now that I live in the Beach it is much easier for me to cycle there. There are also hares, beavers, swans, geese, wood ducks, terns (snowy owls some winters) and other creatures this urban dweller can not yet name...

But maybe I shouldn't be singing it's virtues lest the millions of other Torontonians spoil the fun.

Last edited:
THANKS everyone.

Next week I may trudge around the area to see if there are better unobscured sight lines.

Ack don't go telling the whole city!!!!

Just kidding, lol. Besides, there's already another more local forum that posts that kind of stuff for all to see, it's outdoorontario.net if you're interested.

Looking forward to seeing more pics of them if you do manage to find a better vantage point!

Yes indeed. I geotagged the photo in Flickr. There are quite a number of them nesting near the road, easy to spot - away from the cormorants and seagulls.

Now that I live in the Beach it is much easier for me to cycle there. There are also hares, beavers, swans, geese, wood ducks, terns (snowy owls some winters) and other creatures this urban dweller can not yet name...

But maybe I shouldn't be singing it's virtues lest the millions of other Torontonians spoil the fun.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back