Just Corinna in real life
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
For rent, if you're interested ...

3098811184_7ef44fdf2f_o.jpg

Took me a while to find the conversion I (sort of) liked, since the original is a colour photo. I might be happy with this though I feel others manage to produce even grittier urban photography.

Last edited:
i dunno if i would want to live there but im sure they get good tv channels with all those satellite dishes

So?
Any ideas by those who do gritty urban photography on how this could have come out better?

Personally I would have shot so that I didn't get the satelite dishes or the sign. I think the detail in the apartments is more interesting. For some reason it is really just the Pepsi sign that is bothering me in the scene. I like the rest.

Oh. Ooops. I might re-fix it. I overhauled that Flickr-Album completely.
ETA: I have now restored the link.
None of my pics from Turkey are available any longer, I'm afraid, as I deleted the album and put it up again, so all the old links got broken... sorry 'bout that.

So?
Any ideas by those who do gritty urban photography on how this could have come out better?

It's not at all my forte, but I wonder if a BIG boost in contrast would give you a grittier look. I don't know if grittier is what you mean by "better."

Interesting image. I suppose the bars on the windows are for security. Makes me wonder if you should have been in that neighborhood.

–Pete

No worries, Pete, I wasn't alone. And actually this was just off the touristic hot spots in Istanbul, very close to Sultan-Ahmet-Mosque, and I was walking from there to Kapali Çarshi (the two "i's" in these words to be imagined without a dot), the Grand Bazaar, on foot, as part of the whole group I was travelling with. It surprised me to see how different the town could be when you only walked five steps away from the high-gloss tourist places. It is originally a colour photo, but that did not convince me as much, so I tried to play around with conversion techniques and even a bit of added noise and all that, but I still feel that the "urban" feeling doesn't really communicate itself.

But - it may always also be THE PHOTO AS SUCH that is not good enough. I could live with the fact! :D

that is a good pic love this

Your image as it is has nice tonal range, no blown highlights, decent shadow detail. It's very nicely exposed. Increasing contrast might over do the highlights or lose the shadow detail.

If one wanted grittier, increasing "noise" on a new layer in your image processing app might do the trick.

For example, creating a new layer, filling with 50% gray, then under Filter>Noise>Add noise, pick an amount. Then change the blend mode to Soft Light or Overlay. This presumes one would be using a version of photoshop.

And I like how the satellite dishes and advertisement sign have been included. They provide commentary on the current culture of the locale.

Most reactions

Back