Can i ask tips on how to make kids smile on a photoshoot?

rateeg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hello.
i searched on google some tips on how to make kids smile but also wanna ask some of your techniques?
im doing child portraits this weekend and i need some advice because the parents said that their kids are very hard to please. =(

thanks in advance

Try funny faces or voices.

Works a lot for me... especially the faces.

kids varies from 4 to 6 yrs old. yeah will try funny sounds and faces. thanks

Talk a lot! Ask if they have a boyfriend/girlfriend (they probably don't, but it makes a lot giggle). Get them to talk about what they like. Ask about pets/siblings. Take breaks to let them move around frequently. (I've actually sent a seven year old to run a lap when he couldn't sit still!)

First: put the camera down and just get to know the kids. Play with them. Show them something cool. Snap them and show them on your camera. Make funky faces and snap yourself-show them on the camera. Find out what they like, how is school, who is their teacher... Once they are comfortable with you it will be much easier.
Second: shoot from a tripod with a release. That way you are not behind the camera hiding all of the time. Make sure to go back and forth to check your focus point is falling properly. Use a narrower aperture than you normally would.
Be goofy, play with them. The rubber chicken is awesome or anything like it. So are feather dusters.
Goofy words are fantastic. Fuzzy Pickles is one of my favorite conversation starters. "Have you ever had fuzzy pickles?" "I LOVE fuzzy pickles..." Make up a story about your made up word as you go along. Encourage them to add to the story. Silliness always brings out smiles in both the children and the adults!

MLeeK said:
First: put the camera down and just get to know the kids. Play with them. Show them something cool. Snap them and show them on your camera. Make funky faces and snap yourself-show them on the camera. Find out what they like, how is school, who is their teacher... Once they are comfortable with you it will be much easier.
Second: shoot from a tripod with a release. That way you are not behind the camera hiding all of the time. Make sure to go back and forth to check your focus point is falling properly. Use a narrower aperture than you normally would.
Be goofy, play with them. The rubber chicken is awesome or anything like it. So are feather dusters.
Goofy words are fantastic. Fuzzy Pickles is one of my favorite conversation starters. "Have you ever had fuzzy pickles?" "I LOVE fuzzy pickles..." Make up a story about your made up word as you go along. Encourage them to add to the story. Silliness always brings out smiles in both the children and the adults!

This is awesome advice.

....... Fuzzy Pickles is one of my favorite conversation starters. "Have you ever had fuzzy pickles?" "I LOVE fuzzy pickles..........

Chicken lips......

Stinky feet.....

Frog legs.....

wow awesome advices. this really i think works.
thanks a lot.

i need more kind people for their advices. =)

I ask them their name. No matter what they say I say "No way, I know you, you're Sponge Bob!" When they giggle and say no you pretend to think very hard and guess a few other characters. They get all excited trying to make you say their correct name. They love "teaching" adults.

I also have a squeaker from inside a toy (there are places that sell the squeakers separately) I hid it in my palm and touch their shoes while pressing teh squeaker. They are amazed that their shoe squeaks. Warning: they may spend the whole shoot trying to squeak their shoes.

I have a monkey with really long arms. I come in wearing him like a cape. I tell them I need their help I lost my monkey. They say "It's behind you" You swing around and look but of course nothing is there because the monkey swings with you. You tell them no way, there is no monkey there and they crack up while you basically chase your tail trying to see the monkey.

I ask them their name. No matter what they say I say "No way, I know you, you're Sponge Bob!" When they giggle and say no you pretend to think very hard and guess a few other characters. They get all excited trying to make you say their correct name. They love "teaching" adults.

I also have a squeaker from inside a toy (there are places that sell the squeakers separately) I hid it in my palm and touch their shoes while pressing teh squeaker. They are amazed that their shoe squeaks. Warning: they may spend the whole shoot trying to squeak their shoes.

I have a monkey with really long arms. I come in wearing him like a cape. I tell them I need their help I lost my monkey. They say "It's behind you" You swing around and look but of course nothing is there because the monkey swings with you. You tell them no way, there is no monkey there and they crack up while you basically chase your tail trying to see the monkey.

wow thank you. i think this will work.

I always used a small stuffed rabbit. "Funny Bunny". Set him next to the child in such a manner it will fall over (or off the table) when I let go and turned around.

"Did you push Funny Bunny over?!?!"

"Silly Funny Bunny!!!"

"Now, Funny Bunny.... you sit here nice and straight!"

Repeat as necessary.

FYI, Funny Bunny retired in '86 and is now ejoying life in a Rubbermaid tote in a storage unit.

Many of the answers to your question have been pretty good, but the number one way to make kids laugh: Contact member Cgipson and have him come over while wearing his leopard hat.

Most reactions

Back