Can i ask tips on how to make kids smile on a photoshoot?

thank you guys.
one more thing, can the parents help make them smile while i am in front of the kids cause that would make them look away from the camera?

Looking away from the camera isn't always bad. It just depends on the look you are going for. I am not keen on always having the subject looking straight into the camera. It's kind of like a sears portrait thing to me. If you want kids looking at the camera then placing the parents on one side or the other of the camera for getting them to make kids smile would be fine.
The thing with parents is that they usually tell them "Jane, smile for the camera" and that's not going to do it. If you are lucky you get really good entertaining parents, but not very often.

If you are posting your website for SEO think again. It's SPAM and you'll find a boot in your ass pretty damn fast. Every one of your posts sure looks like SEO crap.

Ask the kids not to smile that usually works for me Kids like to do the opposite of what you ask them.

I ask them their name. No matter what they say I say "No way, I know you, you're Sponge Bob!" When they giggle and say no you pretend to think very hard and guess a few other characters. They get all excited trying to make you say their correct name. They love "teaching" adults.

I also have a squeaker from inside a toy (there are places that sell the squeakers separately) I hid it in my palm and touch their shoes while pressing teh squeaker. They are amazed that their shoe squeaks. Warning: they may spend the whole shoot trying to squeak their shoes.

I have a monkey with really long arms. I come in wearing him like a cape. I tell them I need their help I lost my monkey. They say "It's behind you" You swing around and look but of course nothing is there because the monkey swings with you. You tell them no way, there is no monkey there and they crack up while you basically chase your tail trying to see the monkey.

You're so much better with kids than I am. :(

I ask them their name. No matter what they say I say "No way, I know you, you're Sponge Bob!" When they giggle and say no you pretend to think very hard and guess a few other characters. They get all excited trying to make you say their correct name. They love "teaching" adults.

I also have a squeaker from inside a toy (there are places that sell the squeakers separately) I hid it in my palm and touch their shoes while pressing teh squeaker. They are amazed that their shoe squeaks. Warning: they may spend the whole shoot trying to squeak their shoes.

I have a monkey with really long arms. I come in wearing him like a cape. I tell them I need their help I lost my monkey. They say "It's behind you" You swing around and look but of course nothing is there because the monkey swings with you. You tell them no way, there is no monkey there and they crack up while you basically chase your tail trying to see the monkey.

You're so much better with kids than I am. :(

HAHA. Those tips came from years of pre-school and daycare photography. I had to get a classroom full of kids to like me in less than 5 minutes to keep on schedule. It was hard, exhausting and sometimes disgusting work. But, it helped me learn to interact with kids to get what I need out of them.

It is a job that will make you hate kids if you do it too long.

fall down. works everytime. Kids love to see you hurt yourself ;)

Just make sure the kids are comfortable. Once they get comfortable, it'll be easier to make them laugh!

I work at a portrait studio and I shoot kids a lot..A LOT....the best thing that I have found to get kids to open up and smile (especially that age) is a little blue racquetball ball...before i even start taking pictures, I go up to the kids and pull the ball out of my pocket and hold it on just the ends of my fingers and say, "Now, before we take pictures, do u guys want to see a magic trick?" Of course, all kids want to see a magic trick.....so i tell them..."This little blue ball is full of energy and if you try to grab it out of my hand, its going to bounce...Try to grab it." As soon as they try to grab the ball, i bounce it with my fingers and their eyes light up and that ball has their full attention the entire time. BEST thing I have ever found to get kids to smile. Now this might not work for you very well because at my studio, we shoot with a camera help up on a pole that we can move and use a trip cord to flash the shot....just my 2 cent :) Hope it helps!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back