can I get some opinions on my new site?

aprileve

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
www.aprilevephotography.com

any feedback is appreciated. thanks!

on the "my info" page...I'm waiting to throw in a pic of me. but other than that, I'm pretty much finished.
I'm on a tight budget, but still wanted a site, so it's just a simple template with iWeb...but it turned out ok. nice and simple.
lemme know what you think.
thanks

The logo on the splash page is not sharp at all. Also, why have tiny squares of a cut up picture? People don't look at a website for long before making a decision so you need to create a good impression on your splash page.

If this is a website designed to create business then I think you need to aim for a more professional look. The font screams "amateur", and I think you're "About Me" text content is too informal.

Also, it takes too many clicks to get to a point where I can actually view a decent sized photograph. Why have all the different galleries? You're just trying to display your talent for photography for hire - if it's not a portfolio site then I don't see the benefit in splitting it all up into genres.

Good start though :)

You need to fix your logo as mentioned above, but you also need to fix your text.
You have a different Font for each page. You also have to try to stay with web approved fonts; these are fonts that are pre loaded in every web browser. If you are using a fancy font that is not installed on a computer it will default to Times New Roman, and that looks horrible on any webpage.

i agree that the font issue needs to be addressed. i don't mind the tiny squares on the front page, but i do agree that your first page needs to be an attention grabber.

it does not appear that you have a lot of work to show off just yet. that's fine, but until you do, i would avoid splitting the images up into categories. just have them all running in a page.

also, while i think it is great that your about me has some personal info in it, i think it is a bit too personal, and in need of some grammatical corrections.

otherwise, i think you are off to a great start. best of luck!

thanks for the feedback. I'll work on the logo.

what is it about the "about me" section that is too personal? too much history? etc? I was going for a completely personal section (without trying to give out TOO much) but I hate the ones that are totally surface "I'm here to take your pictures and that all" type sites...so I like to give a little history to make me seem more normal.

agree with all that's been said above. The logo needs a lot of work, the font is amateurish and, to be honest, you have pictures on your site that are out of focus. If you are using this site to gain business, put only your best ones on there.
The about me section is way to personal. If I am hiring a photographer, I don't care that your are married to your best friend or that you like to cook. Get rid of that stuff. Really, the about me section should be about your photographic talents. Don't tell people you don't have the nerves for wedding photography. You should profile all you have accomplished in photography. You say right in there that you have only been doing it for a couple months. erm....

As rubbertree says, people don't care who you are or what you're like in bed. If you show good photography and professionalism, business will come.

seems like a pretty basic site
nothing rally grabs my attecntion
but a good basic idea

I also like the basic, quick, simple & clean look of your website - I prefer that over the ones based around Flash (especially the ones that open up a new window full-screen!!).

The logo does need to be sharp, but you're working on that so, that's cool.

The "About Me" page.. I agree with above. It's good to say why/how you got into photography and where you've been with it etc., put a spin on it; not so good to get too personal though, the cooking stuff etc. I'd take out. I had an about me page but i was struggling for things to say so i took it out completely and just put an image of myself on my contact page (soon to be changed once my shirts/fleece somes with my logo on).

The squares on the splash screen don't bother me at all, i actually liked them.. it's better to be different than better.

Again, as you have a limited supply of photos there, i agree with above. Filter out your best and have one gallery with those images. I'm on the same boat at the moment and i'm working on having just one gallery.

For your contact page id try to get a contact form on there. I don't know if you have the means to do that or not but it just gives people an instant and quick way to contact you without opening up their email client.

All in all not too bad, nice simple design, just needs a few wee touches brushed up.

Search engines don't like splash pages.

I also like the basic, quick, simple & clean look of your website - I prefer that over the ones based around Flash (especially the ones that open up a new window full-screen!!).

The logo does need to be sharp, but you're working on that so, that's cool.

The "About Me" page.. I agree with above. It's good to say why/how you got into photography and where you've been with it etc., put a spin on it; not so good to get too personal though, the cooking stuff etc. I'd take out. I had an about me page but i was struggling for things to say so i took it out completely and just put an image of myself on my contact page (soon to be changed once my shirts/fleece somes with my logo on).

The squares on the splash screen don't bother me at all, i actually liked them.. it's better to be different than better.

Again, as you have a limited supply of photos there, i agree with above. Filter out your best and have one gallery with those images. I'm on the same boat at the moment and i'm working on having just one gallery.

For your contact page id try to get a contact form on there. I don't know if you have the means to do that or not but it just gives people an instant and quick way to contact you without opening up their email client.

All in all not too bad, nice simple design, just needs a few wee touches brushed up.

thanks for your comments. much appreciated. :)
your words are helpful!

As rubbertree says, people don't care who you are or what you're like in bed. If you show good photography and professionalism, business will come.

ummm?? :scratch: totally uncalled for.

It's just an exaggeration to demonstrate a point, that you are telling people more than they need to know - luke Pugh mentioned about cooking etc.

mmmkay I'm going to go out on a limb and disagree with most of what everyone has already said.

My thoughts:

I DO agree that the logo is slightly out of focus, but I don't think that's a huge deal.

The font seems 'amateurish'? That's silly, but I see where rubbertree is going. If you have tons of extra time, maybe find a slightly more unique (but still easily readable) font.

I also agree that culling out all but your very best photos could be a good idea. However, one thing I will mention...typically what us photogs look for are very different than what potential clients look for. Sometimes your best photos will turn them off for the slightest reasons, and sometimes the things that we as photographers freak out about (out of focus images, for instance), they really could care less about. Usually women are more in touch with this, while men just assume that the technical stuff is what's going to attract them.

Another thing along those lines...you're mostly marketing to women. Only a small percentage of the family members that look for and choose a photographer are men. Because of this, working from a very comfortable, personable angle can be really beneficial. I honestly loved your About Me section. While the language of being married to your best friend is a bit confusing at first, I think it shows who you are, and shows that you are a person, not a photographing robot.

However, I would consider rewording this section:

"I LOVE doing family photo sessions and engagement sessions. And one of these days I hope to venture into weddings!"

Saying that you love what you do is actually very smart. Saying that you love one thing, and not saying it about the other, however, is not. Perhaps replace that section with 'I LOVE photographing families, children, couples, and seniors!", or simply "I LOVE to photograph people!"

I would scratch the whole hoping to do weddings part. If you want to do weddings, say you do weddings. If you don't want to yet, say that you're not doing weddings at this time. People aren't going to come to your site to see what you're going to be doing a year down the road, they're looking for something they can set up now.

I hope that all made sense!

Most reactions

Back