Can i get some..........winter photography tips (wedding and family shots)

Yes, WB is important. You're camera will likely want to turn the snow a mid-tone grey. If your camera has a 'PRE' white balance mode, get yourself a grey card and use your camera manual to set it.

StringThing said:
Yes, WB is important. You're camera will likely want to turn the snow a mid-tone grey. If your camera has a 'PRE' white balance mode, get yourself a grey card and use your camera manual to set it.

So I have to reset that a million times for every time I step to a different location? I bought a grey card but I need to learn how to use it.

Yes, WB is a huge deal.

Fotodiox Hand Hold Collapsible Disc, Tri-Fold Reflector + Gray Card/White Balance Digital Target Combo

This is what I have to work with

No I'm saying learn how to use it. I've never seen one of those.

Fotodiox has a reputation for producing less than quality stuff.

KmH said:
No I'm saying learn how to use it. I've never seen one of those.

Lol....k thanx.....I was just thinking ...oh crap I bought some junk!

You planning on shooting a wedding?

Like mentioned if you are metering a scene in snow, the meter will want to try and make it gray, so you'll want to overexpose it a bit to get it to reflect the actual scene.

Yes, metering for proper exposure can be tricky when shooting in a snowy scene because the camera is designed to make your scene middle grey. That's not a WB issue though, that's a metering & exposure issue.
How to use a Grey Card ~ Mike Hodson Photography

White balance is still important, but it's a separate issue. You should be shooting in RAW anyway, so it will be easy enough to adjust the WB afterward, on the computer.

Also, when shooting in cold temps, the batteries will die very quickly. You can bring them back by warming them up, so make sure to have spare batteries and keep them inside your coat, close to your body. Then swap them out when the cold battery dies.

Also, beware of condensation when you bring you gear back into a warm atmosphere (building, vehicle). At minimum, keep the gear zipped up in the camera bag until it can warm up. Better yet, seal it in air tight plastic and then let it warm up before exposing it to the warm (humid) air.

Wow WB is awesome ......it's like adding bleach to the dirtiest white load of laundry......love it!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back