Can I put a different head on this ???

Reading the reviews on the page you linked to, some people have put ball heads on them. Although one mentioned drilling, so it might not be a be as simple as screwing a different head onto it.

I read the reviews on that Tiltall, and I do not think that it has the "standard" 3/8 inch thread underneath the head on top. As Big Mike mentioned, one buyer had to drill out the 1/4x20 thread which is the USA standard camera-mounting tripod thread size, while the much larger, beefier 3/8 inch thread is what is used to mount ball heads to tripods.

SO, I think the answer here would be a qualified "yes". You could put a ball head on top of this tripod, but you'd need a simple, low-cost tripod adapter bushing, which threads around a 1/4x20 thread and on the outside has a larger 3/8 inch threaded exterior. These threaded bushings cost about $1 each. I know the tripod is only $99, but you know, there are several reviewers that point out the construction is quite flimsy and poorly engineered--one buyer had a leg fall off, right out of the box, and multiple reviewers are talking the Tiltall up on 20 and 10 year old models which were made under license for Leitz--in other words, quite a few of the reviewers that give the major thumbs up are reviewing OLD, solidly made Tiltall models they own and NOT the one that is for sale now, not in the 1980's or 1990's, but in 2010, now that it is a cheap Chinese knock-off of a well-known design, and the legs and the leg lock design engineering has been fundamentally changed to keep the price at $99 retail.

Unlike some brands where legs are sold as "leg sets", it seems the Tiltall is sold as a unified tripod with a more or less permanent head engineered onto the center column. And so, even if you did add a ball head, you'd still need to tighten down the pan and tilt axis locks, which are tightened by those long, threaded rods. ALl in all, I'd say look for another brand of tripod "legs", onto which a standards ballhead can be threaded,and then three locking screws underneath can be tightened to hold the ball head firmly in place.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I just assisted for a magazine shoot and a lot of the dudes i helped had a lot of manfrotto stuff although when I asked they said they would really like a carbon fiber RRS setup. What do you guys think?

Most reactions

Back