Can I sell a picture taken inside the Ryman Auditorium?

ICPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was on a paid, self guided tour if the historic Ryman Auditorium in Nashville. At the end of the tour. There is a nan who , for 10 additional dollars will take your picture, standing on the stage, next to a vintage microphone. After nicely asking him, the man agreed that I could pay him $10 but instead of him taking my picture, I was given permission to go on stage and take a picture of the auditorium, with my own DSLR.
I took the shot from a performer's perspective; short depth of field, with only the microphone in focus. The stained glass windows at the back of the balcony is obvious but, only if you are very very familiar with the Ryman would you be able to guess where the shot was taken. There are no identifying logos or known iconic images in the shot.
People love it. I gave given a few as gifts but would love to sell it as a print. Would I need a release from the Ryman? I live I'm Nashville and shoot entertainment. I wouldn't want to overstep and get a bad name before I even have one. Thanks. Just looking to do the right thing.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 235
If you're just selling prints, I don't think you need a release or anything like that.

I mean, if I can sell a print of some random person on the street without their permission (just an example), I don't see why a microphone inside an auditorium would be any different. That isn't the type of use you need a release for.

Do the 'rules' of the auditorium prohibit photography or anything?

As always, this isn't legal advice, and all that - but I think if you're just selling prints, you don't have anything to worry about. Even if you were wanting to do more than that, I think you'd probably still be fine, but you might not necessarily want to take my advice, lol.

Last edited:
I'm not lawyer, entertainer, or professional photographer. I would definitely contact the Ryman and ask what there policy regarding selling pictures that you took while on the tour. If possible, get it in writing, just to be safe.

My concern is from their standpoint, you are selling images of 'their' landmark auditorium for a profit. This would especially be a touchy point if they, too, are selling images taken inside the auditorium which may or may not resemble yours. They are an ongoing business. Would Ford Motor Company allow you to sell pictures taken inside their HQ in Dearborn, MI?

To my thinking, it would be akin to selling photographs of deceased public figures. Some of their estates expressly prohibit people from selling such images. Others could care less. Although, as photographer, you own the rights to the photograph, its content is what is at issue.

As for free distribution? Again, check with them.

Don't ask. Just do it. They won't care if you sell a couple of prints, and they won't find out either. Besides, a generic auditorium isn't really protectable.

I'm not lawyer, entertainer, or professional photographer. I would definitely contact the Ryman and ask what there policy regarding selling pictures that you took while on the tour. If possible, get it in writing, just to be safe.

My concern is from their standpoint, you are selling images of 'their' landmark auditorium for a profit. This would especially be a touchy point if they, too, are selling images taken inside the auditorium which may or may not resemble yours. They are an ongoing business. Would Ford Motor Company allow you to sell pictures taken inside their HQ in Dearborn, MI?

To my thinking, it would be akin to selling photographs of deceased public figures. Some of their estates expressly prohibit people from selling such images. Others could care less. Although, as photographer, you own the rights to the photograph, its content is what is at issue.

As for free distribution? Again, check with them.

Not only are you not a lawyer, you are totally ignorant of the law and photographers rights in the US. Property is NOT copyrightable and that includes auditoriums, so NO PERMISSION is necessary.

There are property releases (see ASMP) and would usually be needed if you'd be using the photo to make a profit (retail use) and the property is recognizable; the background in your photo could be recognizable I think especially in the Nashville area.

They allowed you to take the photo so obviously allow visitors to bring in cameras to take pictures, probably intended for personal use. You might find out if their visitor information has guidelines on taking photos and usage, as there's a difference between taking the picture and what you do with them.

Most reactions

Back