Can I take IR pictures with a canon eos 20d

SteveEllis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Guys,

I've been looking at the IR photos and want to try, but I've read a few items that say you cant do it with a 20D, is this true?

If you can does anyone have any examples?

Cheers,
Steve.

It can't be any worse than a D200 since it is widely known to have one of the strongest lowpass filters on it, and I can do it with a D200.

The results won't be anywhere nearly as good with IR sensitive film or with a modified camera, but why not just buy a cheap IR filter off ebay like the Hoya RM72 and try it, and if it fails put it back onto ebay.

Just buy a 20Da, I'll just use the spare change in my pocket :lol:

Maybe I'll have a look out for a cheap second camera, anyone recommend one? Or should I get the Sony with the nightshot set up ;)

Garbz, youre right, for a tenner I may as well give it a shot.

:)

I just did a bunch of research cause I wanna do the same, but I have a D80 and apparently the sensors are to resilient to IR wavelengths. Check out website lifepixel (google it) and there's tons of info and DIY tutorials. I may upgrade to a D300 and then modify my D80. Just wanted to pass on what I found...

I have a Canon 20D. I shoot IR with a Hoya R72 filter and they come out just fine. I havn't quite made the leap to get my camera converted though....

example:
original (out of camera)
lake1.jpg

channel swap
lake1edit.jpg

thats me messing around when i first got it. The trees and grass aren't as white as you normally see, but this was some of the first IR i took, and hadn't adjusted the white balance accordingly. Completely user error. I have a photo friend who uses his 10D backup for IR alot. And I do it with my 20D whenever I have the time, So i would say that whoever you heard that from was wrong.

Put your camera on manual, get your TV remote, dim the lights, point it into the lens and press a button whislt taking a picture for a second or two. If your sensor doesn't filter out the IR spectrum you should be able to see the light emitted from the remote!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back