Can I use my digital camera to determine shutter and aperture speeds?

johnnyeck

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all. I've just received an old camera, made in the early 60's. I have some basic experience with analogue photography but not so much. My question is this: if I take my DIGITAL camera, put it on manual mode and enter ISO, shutter speed and aperture, will the photo more or less resemble that which I can get with the analogue camera when using the same numbers? Can it be used as a reliable reference as far as brightness and (over)exposure goes?
Thanks!

If I understand this, it seems you are going about the business of evaluating exposure requirements sort of "the long way". If you don't have a light meter, you can use the light meter function of your digital camera as a substitute. But why start out in manual and guess at the settings, when you could just use the digital camera's meter function directly?

Or just leave it at home and use exposure tables to set the film camera.

Or just buy a light meter.

Thanks for your reply. You're right, it is going the long way, but as I am new to the business, I want to at least see if I can handle the new, that is old, camera, and I don't want to invest more before I do that. SO: if I do understand you correctly, the answer is basically yes -- if I use the same configurations on a new digital camera and an old analogue camera, the pictures should be about the same as far as light and exposures are concerened. Do I understand correctly?

Thanks for your reply. You're right, it is going the long way, but as I am new to the business, I want to at least see if I can handle the new, that is old, camera, and I don't want to invest more before I do that. SO: if I do understand you correctly, the answer is basically yes -- if I use the same configurations on a new digital camera and an old analogue camera, the pictures should be about the same as far as light and exposures are concerened. Do I understand correctly?

Well, yes and no. The right answer is yes, but with the quibble that you'll have to calibrate the digital camera and it's light meter against the film camera and each film and type of processing.

You'll find that the ISO of the digital camera is close, but not exactly the same, as the ISO of the film. And of course if you change the way film is developed it won't be the same relationship. Also the speeds on the old camera may not be accurate, and the apertures may be off too.

These are things that will affect your results no matter what kind of a light meter you use.

Note too that you are not exactly breaking new ground with this idea either! One of the main uses for Polaroid film years ago was to take a shot using the Polaroid to get a good preview, and then commit to an expensive sheet of film on a large format camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back