Can outdated software legally be shared among users?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jad

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
johndoddato.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
We have all heard the news of about Adobe CC subscription plan. Adobe will not upgrade PS that is used outside of CC. So my question is do they still have control over this software? Could people start swapping old versions of PS on DVD's to upgrade say from CS3 to CS5 or 6? I don't want to start up the thread of opinions about the change, just wondering if it possible to exchange software on DVD's seeing it is outdated and no longer upgradable .

swap out? you mean someone making and distributing copies of their older Adobe software?
im going to go out on a limb here and say no. Its doubtful Adobe will change their End User License Agreement for any of their old software to allow such things.

swap out? you mean someone making and distributing copies of their older Adobe software?
im going to go out on a limb here and say no. Its doubtful Adobe will change their End User License Agreement for any of their old software to allow such things.

He don't think he's talking about adobe allowing it. I think he's talking about the other that is a violation of the EULA.

Yes they still have copyright control over those products until such a time as either the copyright expires (typically 70 years post creators death, but copyright held by companies is difference since companies don't always die and often pass on assets to new owners) or the company releases its copyright hold.

As such no just because its old doesn't mean you can freely copy and distribute older versions of any software and the TPF mod and admin team will take any such actions on the forums very seriously.

I wasn't referring to copying the software. I was thinking more of if another Photographer had a DVD of a newer version of PS than me, if I could install it on my computer. Seeing it is a DVD and it is outdated for upgrades now with new CC service. I wouldn't think it would have to be registered when installing it on my computer.

That is still a violation of the EULA
Yep!

'Outdated' software?

Transfer an Adobe product license

Requirements to transfer a license

• You must initiate the product transfer as the current owner of the product license. The receiver of the license (transferee) cannot initiate this process.
  • You must provide a copy of your photo ID with your signature.
  • You must provide proof of purchase (if you didn't purchase directly from Adobe) and order number for your Adobe product.
  • The product serial number must be registered in your Adobe profile to transfer the license.

Last edited:
We have all heard the news of about Adobe CC subscription plan. Adobe will not upgrade PS that is used outside of CC. So my question is do they still have control over this software? Could people start swapping old versions of PS on DVD's to upgrade say from CS3 to CS5 or 6? I don't want to start up the thread of opinions about the change, just wondering if it possible to exchange software on DVD's seeing it is outdated and no longer upgradable .

"No longer upgradeable" doesn't necessarily translate to "outdated".

It's outdated when it will no longer adequately perform the functions it was designed to perform.

The swapping of illegal copies likely played a very significant role in Adobe's recent decision. They have no reason to permit it, and I'm sure they will not...

Last edited:
So yes you can do it but the person you are getting it from would have to give up their product license for it. Rendering them unable to use the software they are giving you anymore.

It is the damn thieves that we have to thank for this kind of crap.. they kill it for everybody!

It is the damn thieves that we have to thank for this kind of crap.. they kill it for everybody!

Are you sure it's not the invention of cloud services? :lol:

Not so much the thieves but all those who just can't be bothered to read the Copyright Laws.

I hear ya man. its almost as bad as people that charge money for work and don't pay the taxes on it. hurts everyone as a whole. too many people dont care about the circle of economics. as long as it benefits them, and they don't get caught, they will continue to do it though.

I hear ya man. its almost as bad as people that charge money for work and don't pay the taxes on it. hurts everyone as a whole. too many people dont care about the circle of economics. as long as it benefits them, and they don't get caught, they will continue to do it though.

Depends on how much money is made. Individuals doing favors for friends probably don't need to pay taxes on that money. Children don't pay taxes for the money they make washing cars/cutting lawns, etc.

I sure wasn't thinking of stealing. I was only wondering that now it is outdated if it would be permitted. I've alway paid for my software. I can't say that about all the music cd's I have downloaded on my computer. Can you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back