Can someone please, please help me understand?

Well..if I wanted to use the 180/3.5 for macro video...would a cheap, no-contacts extension tube work relatively the same? I wouldn't need infinity focus for macro videography..

Mark

Well..if I wanted to use the 180/3.5 for macro video...would a cheap, no-contacts extension tube work relatively the same? I wouldn't need infinity focus for macro videography..

Mark
I have no idea if it would actually do what you want, but if all you have to do is kill the electrical contacts - just tape over them. No adapters needed, and it won't affect focusing.

From there, the blades stay open to their full extent until the shutter is released. Since this does not happen while shooting video, it has no effect and the lens stays wide open.

No from there the blades stay open until the camera freely allows the aperture to stop down. You can still set an aperture in video as far as I am aware, so it would be strange that this control isn't released while you're shooting.

Have you tried it?

Ultimately it's not a perfect solution since you say the camera still auto-exposes? Wouldn't that mean if you COULD stop down the aperture the camera would compensate?

I figured it out. I was doing it all wrong! Whatever aperture you set the camera at before video, up to F/16, will work in video. This is, if you set the camera to F/16 before pressing the LV button, the video will be taken at F/16. If it is set at F/2.8 before hand, the video will be taken at that aperture, etc. I was trying to change the aperture while already in LV, and you cannot do that. You have to return to normal, allow the mirror to drop, reset the aperture to what you want it at, then go back to LV and take another video at the set aperture.

Thank you all! That link was extremely helpful!
Mark

I figured it out. I was doing it all wrong! Whatever aperture you set the camera at before video, up to F/16, will work in video. This is, if you set the camera to F/16 before pressing the LV button, the video will be taken at F/16. If it is set at F/2.8 before hand, the video will be taken at that aperture, etc. I was trying to change the aperture while already in LV, and you cannot do that. You have to return to normal, allow the mirror to drop, reset the aperture to what you want it at, then go back to LV and take another video at the set aperture.

Thank you all! That link was extremely helpful!
Mark

I think you might still be able to get increased functionality with an old manual lens and a bent pin on it... So you can change the aperture in live view. It must be kind of a PITA to get out of movie mode to change the aperture.

I completely agree. But, I plan on using the video mostly for macro..and I can't justify the purchase of another 105+mm macro lens. Possibly an old AIS 105..that may not be too bad.

Mark

I completely agree. But, I plan on using the video mostly for macro..and I can't justify the purchase of another 105+mm macro lens. Possibly an old AIS 105..that may not be too bad.

Mark

Yeah, don't be throwing a lot of money at a new lens if you're planning on breaking it essentially. Good luck with your macro videos. Think you might share some when you've edited them?

Most reactions

Back