Can someone tell me if this is an Ansel Adams?

Mollythemodelless

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I know I'm new and all, but I found this framed pic and was told it was Ansel Adams but I'm not really sure. It doesn't really seem like his type of landscape but I'm sure I will admit that I'm not an expert.

ACIfq.jpg

I am familar with a lot of his work and i have never seen this image.

Is it signed? It looks as if it is mounted with a black window butted over the edge of the print. I have never known anyone who owns an orginal print that would cover up the signature. You could also look on the back of the photo to see if it is signed and numbered.

Have you had it appraised by someone who would know?

Is it signed? It looks as if it is mounted with a black window butted over the edge of the print. I have never known anyone who owns an orginal print that would cover up the signature. ...

Many (most, all??) of Adams prints were signed or initialed on the back rather than on the front. For quite a while, his system was to initial prints that his assistants made to his specifications and signed his full name on those he made himself.

Is it signed? It looks as if it is mounted with a black window butted over the edge of the print. I have never known anyone who owns an orginal print that would cover up the signature. ...

Many (most, all??) of Adams prints were signed or initialed on the back rather than on the front. For quite a while, his system was to initial prints that his assistants made to his specifications and signed his full name on those he made himself.

I don't see a signature anywhere on the front, but you're right in that there could be a signature covered up. I guess I could get it appraised, but I fear I'll just be setting myself up for a let down.

don't get your hopes up.

Most reactions

Back