Can washed out work in this case?

nmoody

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This one im curious what you all think. Im torn if the washed out sky corner helps or ruins the photo. And CC would be appreciated even on other aspects than the washed out sky.

VqBmgUc.jpg

Pretty much anything can work. In this case, I'm not sure it does. The issue I see is that you have the brightest area of the image, and the path both taking the viewer's eye out to the edge, frame right, but when they get there... nothing to see. If there was some significant element of the image here, I think it would be great, but as-composed... not really feeling it.

Pretty much anything can work. In this case, I'm not sure it does. The issue I see is that you have the brightest area of the image, and the path both taking the viewer's eye out to the edge, frame right, but when they get there... nothing to see. If there was some significant element of the image here, I think it would be great, but as-composed... not really feeling it.

Thanks Tirediron that’s what I feared was the case.

Well the bench isn’t going anywhere so I will give it another try next time I’m in the area. I will try to balance it better next time so I don’t wash out the sky to the point it has no detail. Try another angle to see if I can get it more interesting.

Last edited:
It works against the subject in two ways. It's naturally going to detract from the image (eyes usually go to the brightest part of an image first), plus it's 'behind' the subject, meaning the bench is facing to the viewer's left, and that's where the viewers' eye are going to want to see.

Have to agree with Tirediron, despite the visual strength of the bench, it can't overcome the blown sky and the competing pathway that leads away. Took the liberty of doing some edits. By cropping away all the path, the bench becomes much stronger. Did some duplicating of the sky and clouds to patch in the areas, that were blown, and used a brush with color to blend everything in. Could probably use more work but maybe it will give you ideas. Beautiful view by the way, I'm envious, now you have a reason to go back.
VqBmgUcedit.jpg

It works against the subject in two ways. It's naturally going to detract from the image (eyes usually go to the brightest part of an image first), plus it's 'behind' the subject, meaning the bench is facing to the viewer's left, and that's where the viewers' eye are going to want to see.

Absolutely right and I unconsciously looked at the lighter washed out section first now that I think of it, then to the bench and lastly up to the sky when I first looked at it. Now that I realize this, I would pay more attention to my first visual reactions to pictures, if the first thing my eyes are drawn to is a blatant mistake thats probably a bad sign. Thank you 480sparky.

Have to agree with Tirediron, despite the visual strength of the bench, it can't overcome the blown sky and the competing pathway that leads away. Took the liberty of doing some edits. By cropping away all the path, the bench becomes much stronger. Did some duplicating of the sky and clouds to patch in the areas, that were blown, and used a brush with color to blend everything in. Could probably use more work but maybe it will give you ideas. Beautiful view by the way, I'm envious, now you have a reason to go back.
View attachment 168502

Thanks, and I like the direction you went with the edit, cropping the majority of the problem and masking up the rest. Thanks smoke665

The location is only a 45 minute drive so not hard for me to get to, most of my recent pictures are of or from these mountains. Where I live is actually in the picture and that reflective water poking out of the left side is the bottom of the San Fransisco bay.

It does not work for me.

I left and came back to this image a number of times and yes, in this case the blown sky does too good a job of pulling the eye away from the bench.

I actually really like the composition of this image even if it does break some "rules" (the bench facing out of the frame rather than towards the center, the path leading - and trying to pull the eye - away from the bench). To me there's a story in that composition, I wouldn't crop it.

I have to go with the group, unless you are trying to show a large vast open vista, I would crop.

Most reactions

Back