Can you fix this sky? Thank you

.........3. Choose a tutorial and go for it!

The biggest problems with finding a tut that works:

1. Most tuts are for older versions of GIMP. The steps may apply, but the screen captures make in near impossible to follow along.
2. The author misses a critical step. You get halfway through, then when you're prompted to click on an option, that option is grayed out.
3. The steps assume you know how to fully apply it. A simple "Use the Fuzzy Select tool to select the sky" implies you know what the Fuzzy Select tool is, and how to use it (Mode? Feather edges? What is antialiasing? Select transparent areas? Sample merged? Threshold? Select By:?). Would the Select By Color tool be a better option? Or perhaps a combination of both? If so, then do you know how to add to the selection?

Learning how to fully utilize an editing program, and understand what you're doing, is akin to taking the engine out of your car, completely rebuilding it and putting it back in. And having it run when you turn the key.

If you're going to 'fake' the photo, you might as well make the grass look green as well :er:

As for fixing the sky, the easiest (which often ends up being best) would be to just crop as much of it out as possible. Why does a photo of a house (for real-estate purposes) need to have a great sky? I guess it could make for a happier photo but if anyone detects that it is a 'fake' photo...it might cause them to start thinking what else about the house isn't as it seems. If they 'Photoshopped' over a bad sky, would they also paint over mold in the bathroom? Sure, that's a stretch, but in a buyer's market, it doesn't take much to sour a potential buyer.

There's a huge chasm between 'painting over mold' and simply presenting a house in it's "best light". Part of the reason they look PS'd is the low-res originals we're working with. Gimme the full-size original, I'll toss in a nice partly-cloudy sky, then lower the image to the OP's 1600x1200 and the buyer will never be able to see it. Especially if the image is used in print.

I would, however, have an issue with PSing mold or some other issue of the structure itself. Or if the sky is inserted to hide a nuclear power plant or the city dump that's in the background.

^^ i've worked in real estate advertising, it's not a stretch at all IMO. So much of selling a house is psychology. Realtor don't really think much about it because they believe the psychology themselves. But I do agree 100% with mike!

If the buyer gets there and finds that the sky looks different than in the photo, I think that'd be acceptable.

If the lawn doesn't look like the manicured putting green somebody PS'd in, that would be completely different, and a real problem.

I think it's about perspective. If the house and grounds (and background/neighborhood, as Sparky pointed out) aren't faked, I don't see the problem.

Exactly why I didnt ask the grass to be fixed. I know it is NOT green, so the buyer will need to get sod, and I want them to know that by looking at the picture. The flat grey sky I had didnt look appealing, and of course the sky will vary by day. I live an hour away from this listing, and only took it as a favor to someone who wanted me to take it.

Buckster, or anyone, can I ask you do fix one more photo of this house? I didnt even notice there was a FAN in the tub, till after I left the house. I dont think removing the fan will be mis-representing the house at all.

$MasterBath.JPG

I will crop out some of the sky. Also I guess I can just crop out the fan, dont worry about it I guess.

Exactly why I didnt ask the grass to be fixed. I know it is NOT green, so the buyer will need to get sod, and I want them to know that by looking at the picture. The flat grey sky I had didnt look appealing, and of course the sky will vary by day. I live an hour away from this listing, and only took it as a favor to someone who wanted me to take it.

Buckster, or anyone, can I ask you do fix one more photo of this house? I didnt even notice there was a FAN in the tub, till after I left the house. I dont think removing the fan will be mis-representing the house at all.

View attachment 25128

Correcting the perspective distortion will kill two birds with one stone.

Now what about the trash can? And the soap dispenser? And the scales? And the bottle of shampoo?

And can you straighten out the towel?

And make the outlets white. White electrical devices sell better. And change the faucets to dual white porcelain cross-handles. And put frosted glass in the shower..............

^ Sparky...No need. I am going to crop out the trash can and keep everything else how it is.

Thanks Buckster! Very clean edit, I cant even tell and I am looking for it.

Nice, like the de-storted version!

Now what about the trash can? And the soap dispenser? And the scales? And the bottle of shampoo?

And make the outlets white. White electrical devices sell better. And change the faucets to dual white porcelain cross-handles. And put frosted glass in the shower..............
LOL! Yeah, actually, I could do all that stuff, no problem. I'd be inclined to start charging for my services to go that far with this however... :thumbup:;)

Sooooo.....this is why I suck. I followed the instructions using GIMP to fix this sky...and well... I am still bad at it. I guess I need practice, but in the meantime I am going to be sending out "just sold" postcards with this house on it and I would like a better sky.
If you see anything else that is a quick and easy fix, feel free. Very bad CA where the trees meet the sky, but I dont know if that can be fixed in post.

Also Buckster, can you private message me your paypal account details or preferred payment method? Thank you

$Crap.jpg$DSCN7189.JPG$DSCN7188.JPG

Also, Buckster could you please get rid of the wallpaper, replace the counter tops with granite, swap out all of the outdated tiles, remove the recessed lighting and add a sky light, and change out those cabinets? All in photoshop of coarse. Your a doll. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back