Can you macro with the 18-200?

jessyd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyones

I'm a noob in photography i just buy my first dslr 5 days ago..

I was wandering if its possible to take a macro picture with the 18-200 ? I know its not a macro lens but i was wandering if it will give a ok result ?

And what about the prime 50m 1.8 ?

Thank you in advance i really appreciate

It won't do 1:1 macro, which is where a macro lens shines! No actual Macro function, but closest focus looks like 1.6 ft, so anything you can fit into the lens at that distance you can shoot... :) with a good crop.. you can probably get some decent shots! Have never used it myself though.

If you wanted to do some macro on the cheap, you could get yourself some extension tubes or a Nikon BR-2A inversion ring for your 50mm prime. Both are viable options to shoot macro with.

If you wanted to do some macro on the cheap, you could get yourself some extension tubes or a Nikon BR-2A inversion ring for your 50mm prime. Both are viable options to shoot macro with.

bullitt411, have you try it yourself on a G lens. The aperture on the lens is usually closed at f22 or... You will have to jam it open.

Not sure if they are directly comparable but I use an 18-200 on my Canon 60D for all of my shots at this point. I'm sure someone will point out differences if there is any.
It does ok with a heavy crop with larger bugs like shield bugs, bees, wasps but I start to struggle when something is smaller, I'm sure part of it is I'm still learning but the crop gets pretty heavy and you have to get it really really right in the camera for half decent results.
Unfortunately many of my shots have been lost on my Flickr because of the 200 limit for non pro accts so here are some examples at my FB page if you would like to take a look.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.190702881039692.36956.189281101181870&type=3

Hi everyones

I'm a noob in photography i just buy my first dslr 5 days ago..

I was wandering if its possible to take a macro picture with the 18-200 ? I know its not a macro lens but i was wandering if it will give a ok result ?

And what about the prime 50m 1.8 ?

Thank you in advance i really appreciate

I haven't use this before. I know someone from the past who has, but I didn't get a recommendation from him.

A closeup filter: Opteka 10x High Definition II Professional Macro Lens OPT10X72

Most reactions

New Topics

Back