What's new

Candid for your C&C

Aliyawar, I'm sure you're familiar with the cinema. Something on screen that looks spontaeous and "in the moment" is a result of much careful preparation, staging, lighting, etc. Photography is the same way. YOU may have something catch your eye, and you photograph it. However, we humans have the ability to focus in on something and ignore the surroundings. The camera does not have our ability to do that, and sees everything. So the "trick" photographers use is to try and isolate the element that is attractive, stage it so that the surroundings do not interfere with the element (or even better, support it), light it in a way that highlights the element, and then arrange it in the frame of the image so that there is a visual flow or a balance. We, the photographers, are the directors of the play that is our image. It is up to us to make the necessary arrangements to showcase our "vision". When we present an image to viewers, they can only use the clues we leave in the image to convey to them the emotion or the objective of the image, and therefore it is up to us to exercise that control so that the "message", whatever it is, becomes apparent to the viewer.

In making the transition from a snapshooter to a photographer, I am finding out that careful thought, preparation, and staging is key to improving the quality of my own images. Can't say I've mastered it, but it is a journey that is at times frustrating, and fulfilling, and energizing. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the image you posted.

Thanks pgriz.. these technical things make the difference between amateur and a serious photographers... I appreciate your help.. From now on ,I will always keep them in my mind while shooting... :) :)
 
Thanks for your amazing help.. you don't know how much these little things mean to me.. I haven't spent more than 2 months on this form and i have evolved so much as a photographer..people like you help guys like me to grow as an artist.. thanks again :) :)

Well, helping is not my intent.

I am trying to get you to really trust me and then, when you are totally vulnerable, tear you down with unfair and brutal criticism, rendering you a loose pile of flesh on the floor, unwilling or even unable to pick up your camera again.

And then I'll buy your equipment cheap.

^^^ That's a joke

One thing I really do need to say is that you really seem to be in touch with the emotional psychological impact of images - imo, the most important part of creating - the capacity that the vast percentage of photographers don't have.
When you begin to link up the mechanical and artistic techniques of image making with the emotional grasp you have, your images will be wonderful.
 
I'm wondering if a little modification to this image would help better portray your intended impact... Maybe a little cropping and burning?
 
If I have to ask, I'll never get it, so I won't but, I don't really get it.
If you're referring to my signature, it's pointed toward people that ask "Do I need this new lens?" or "Should I buy this new camera?"

If you need someone else to justify it for you, you don't REALLY need it.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom