cannon G7

vvashed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hello photo forum been reading through your forums you guys have a great community :D

any way down to business my whole life i have lived at the beach and experienced all its beauty, and after many years of selfishly taking it all in for my self i am convinced i want to share the images i see with my eyes with the rest of the world.

i will be shooting at the beach so i was looking at a compact high performance camera that also can be equipt with a water proof shell(not sure if that is the right terminology)

after some research i cam across the cannon G7 i really like how compact it is and its look. and what do you know you can get a water proof case for it.

is this camera a good choice for me, if I'm going to be shooting mostly action surfing, sun sets, ext

thanks in advanced

The Canon Powershot G-series has always been a good line of high end P&S cameras.

BUT

The G7 was watered down to the point that it wasn't well received G-series loyalists. For one, it didn't have RAW capabilities contained within all previous incarnations. IMO, you are better off either saving a few bucks and getting the high end A-series Canon P&S or spending more money and get the G9.

thanks for explaining it usayit. vvashed i prefer that you get a Dslr camera . it is not compact but you will enjoy the image quality and you can change iso exposure.and many more. i think you need to try it for yourself before you can really enjoy it.

yes a Dslr would be nice but my dad already as one with over 1600 dollars already put into it so im not about to touch that lol

i like the G7 and G9 because it would be perfect for me to take every were i go and capture exceptional images for a descent price. i have researched the G7 more and besides it not having RAW any imperfections i can fix with good old cs3 and soon going to have cs4

yes a Dslr would be nice but my dad already as one with over 1600 dollars already put into it so im not about to touch that lol

i like the G7 and G9 because it would be perfect for me to take every were i go and capture exceptional images for a descent price. i have researched the G7 more and besides it not having RAW any imperfections i can fix with good old cs3 and soon going to have cs4

Take a look at the G6 while you are looking. It does shoot RAW, has a remote and is pretty similar to the G7.

G6 = 7.1mp - 1.8 CCD f/2-3 lens 4X optical No IS RAW CF cards same battery as 10D-50D 1390 mAh, 50 ISO Digic, Remote, Silver, does interval shooting.

G7 = 10MP - 1.8CCD f/2.8-4.8 lens 6X optical With IS SD cards 720mAh battery, 80 ISO Digic III, no remote, Black.

The 7 lost many features of the 6, got the newer less powerful battery, got lighter, turned black (which is nice), added zoom, slower lens, changed to SD cards, focuses to 1cm instead of 5cm with the 6. Both are 35mm widest.

G9 bigger LCD, Bigger sensor, bigger LCD, not much else worth mentioning over the 6 or 7.

Win a little, lose a little. :wink: I picked a 6 over the 7 when I had the choice, and ignored the G9.

G10 28mm, wired remote, 15mp 1.7CCD, 3" LCD, some of the buttons have been moved to a second wheel. The best of the 6-7-9 all in one. Don't really care for the wireless remote on the G6, but I have used it.

Can you tell I want one?

Take a look at the G6 while you are looking. It does shoot RAW, has a remote and is pretty similar to the G7.

G6 = 7.1mp - 1.8 CCD f/2-3 lens 4X optical No IS RAW CF cards same battery as 10D-50D 1390 mAh, 50 ISO Digic, Remote, Silver, does interval shooting.

G7 = 10MP - 1.8CCD f/2.8-4.8 lens 6X optical With IS SD cards 720mAh battery, 80 ISO Digic III, no remote, Black.

The 7 lost many features of the 6, got the newer less powerful battery, got lighter, turned black (which is nice), added zoom, slower lens, changed to SD cards, focuses to 1cm instead of 5cm with the 6. Both are 35mm widest.

G9 bigger LCD, Bigger sensor, bigger LCD, not much else worth mentioning over the 6 or 7.

Win a little, lose a little. :wink: I picked a 6 over the 7 when I had the choice, and ignored the G9.

G10 28mm, wired remote, 15mp 1.7CCD, 3" LCD, some of the buttons have been moved to a second wheel. The best of the 6-7-9 all in one. Don't really care for the wireless remote on the G6, but I have used it.

Can you tell I want one?
haha ya i can. wouldn't it be nice if every one had 500 big ones laying around :)

any way this is some great info the G6 dose look like a great camera thanks for informing me of its existence lol . after looking at all of them it looks to me like my best bet is to continue researching photography and practice with what i have(some panasonic digital). and by the time i can take a desent image with the camra i have i will have saved up enof for the G10:D

You missed with the G9. Some features that were missing in the G7 returned in the G9. This includes RAW. Camera shops had a freakin darn time moving the G7's when the G9's arrived on the shelf. For me this was important because the RAWs from these high end P&S fit right in with my pre-established workflow.

One thing to note with the G-series, they are 100% compatible with all EX line of Canon flashes and they work very well. Extra power, bounce, and good recycle time over the internal tiny flash. My G5 still makes it into my bag as a companion to my 1DmII.

Last edited:
dose any one have any examples of photos taken with any camera from the G series?

just so i can get an idea?

All I have from my G5 online are baby pictures of my son from more than a year ago....... and they are in compressed JPG... not exactly the best way to show case the capabilities of a camera (intended to show grandparents) but they are included. All were shot with a 420EX bounce flash.

Also, check out pbase.com and search by camera name. You should see quite a few examples.

both G5 and G6 are dated but still good cameras. You should be able to find one for next to nothing. If you are doing indoor photos, I highly recommend getting a Canon EX flash. P&S don't like high ISO and the onboard flash is underpowered and doesn't bounce.

Attachments

• $l6.jpg
    $l6.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 85
  • $l10.jpg
    $l10.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 107
  • $l25.jpg
    $l25.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 95
haha cute

i am planning to mostly be taking out door photos at the beach

any tips on accessorizing

ahh man now im all excited haha

i just found an action on ebay for the g7 ends in 2 days and right now its going for 171

so excited!!!

im going to be shooting with my normal digital this weak end going to see how i do.

dose any one have any tips on angles or lighting that would be important if i am shooting skim boarders at the beach.

here is a link to a video of what it is if you don't know [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1nvhbItP48&feature=related[/ame]

Most reactions

Back