Cannon Rebel XT vs. Rebel XTI

phoenix83

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi I am new to photography and have saved up some cash to spend on a Dslr I am confused to which one I should get I narrowed my choice down to the XT and the XTI. I know the XT has only 6 mp and the XTI has 10 but are these the only differences in the two or are the others. I am hoping to shoot some fashion , portrait , and nature photography but not sure should I spend the extra for the XTI or just go with the XT:afro:

Hi I am new to photography and have saved up some cash to spend on a Dslr I am confused to which one I should get I narrowed my choice down to the XT and the XTI. I know the XT has only 6 mp and the XTI has 10 but are these the only differences in the two or are the others. I am hoping to shoot some fashion , portrait , and nature photography but not sure should I spend the extra for the XTI or just go with the XT:afro:

XT is 8mp. i own it and it works well. of course i live by the ol photog saying "buy a cheap body and put your money in the glass".

Sorry about the mistake in mp. but are the features the same on both ?

I'd say you should go with the XT and save your money. Pretty much the same camera but the XTi has 2 more megapixels and a higher price.

I have about 5 friends all with Canons, some with the XT and some with the XTI. I myself have an XT. Unless you are making huge prints i don't think the extra 2 mp will make a difference especially since they use the same sensor (digic II). the biggest notable difference i see is the screen on the back. the xt has a much smaller preview screen and has a seperate little screen right above it for quick reference to settings including shutter speed and fstop that is always on. with the xti you can set the one large screen to have the settings shown, but then the large screen is always lit.
if you want to save money for other stuff go with the XT, and if you got the money to spend, the xsi is coming out which has the digic III sensor, and if you get the kit it has the IS lense that comes with it.

Between XT and XTi, the XTi is newer and has a few more features and recent technology. But between the two, I would take the XT and save money for lenses vs. buying the XTi.

Now if you're comparing the XT vs. the XSi, I would go for the XSi which was released within the last year. If has enough new features that, for me, if I were buying an intro DSLR today, would want over the XT.

My daughter has the XT and I have the XTi. I like the XTi better. Besides higher resolution, the lcd is larger and displays all the info you need and the controls are more user friendly. Everything you would need to adjust frequently is accessible with a dedicated button.

The XT is about $400 and the XTi is about $500. The XSi is $800, but is not available until April. Between the XT and the XTi, I would buy the XTI again. I think it is worth the extra $100. If I was considering upgrading, I would definitely consider the XSi, but I would like to see some reviews to see if it is worth the extra $300 to $400 over the other two existing models.

i suggest you buy the XT1,because XT1 have advance feature below :
1.9 AF points
2.(1) Auto Sensor Cleaning
(2) Dust Delete Data
(3) Manual Sensor Cleaning
3.1MP
4.2.5``LCD
and the key point is they two`s price have a less difference.

I've used XT's and XTi's extensively. The digital screen on the XT to display aperture, shots left, shutter speed, etc is better (IMO) than displaying it on the LCD.

I would go with an XT and put the extra $100 towards extra glass (you could buy a 50mm f/1.8 with that)

My daughter has the XT and I have the XTi. I like the XTi better. Besides higher resolution, the lcd is larger and displays all the info you need and the controls are more user friendly. Everything you would need to adjust frequently is accessible with a dedicated button.

The XT is about $400 and the XTi is about $500. The XSi is $800, but is not available until April. Between the XT and the XTi, I would buy the XTI again. I think it is worth the extra $100. If I was considering upgrading, I would definitely consider the XSi, but I would like to see some reviews to see if it is worth the extra $300 to $400 over the other two existing models.

I agree. I have the XTi and my best friend has the XT, and after playing with hers, i am happy to have the XTi, but thats just me. :)

If you can wait, get the XSi tho....sounds like its gonna be pretty good. :)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I would be cautious about buying a camera on Ebay. There are a lot of bait and switch scammers selling cameras, not only on Ebay, but from other online merchants as well. I would stick with reputable sellers like the sponsors of this site.

I agree. I have the XTi and my best friend has the XT, and after playing with hers, i am happy to have the XTi, but thats just me. :)

If you can wait, get the XSi tho....sounds like its gonna be pretty good. :)

Why get an XSi for $800 when you can get a 30D for $800 or less?

Well this is one package I was considering for the XT
http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-EOS-Digit...ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

And this is the one for the XTI

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-Rebel-XTi...yZ147173QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There is a $100 dollar difference but I am wondering would I need any more lenses to start out with or are these suitable for what I am planning on shooting i.e. fashion,nature, landscape, and portrait?

For portraits, you should look into a good large-aperture lens. The 50mm f/1.8 is a great place to start. Sharp, large aperture, and inexpensive. For portraits, you'll need something that can produce a nice bokeh, and the kit lens doesn't do that.

Then of course, start saving for a good strobe, a tele zoom lens, a few more primes, some faster glass, etc. You'll spend $6000 in no time.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Why get an XSi for $800 when you can get a 30D for $800 or less?

I was just assuming he was wanting to stick with Canon....the 30D would be great, as well!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back