Cannon software that came with my T4i, is it worth learning?

Whiskey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all!

I have adobe Photoshop CS2 and I have always used that for photo editing, but my Rebel T4i came with a bunch of software and I was curious if this software is good enough that it's worth the time to learn it, or if I'm better off just sticking with photoshop and putting this disc away with my new camera box?

Thank you!
Whiskey

I always suggest to my students that they start with the program that came with the camera. However, since your more familar with PS, it may be too basic. However, CS2 is not going to be able to read the files from that camera, and there isn't an update to allow that to happen.

You could download the DNG program from Adobe that is free that should support your new camera.

Perhaps Keith will drop in and give your more information as this is certainly in his "wheel house".

No. Upgrade PS and dive into that, don't waste your time with anything else (IMO). Good luck! :)

There are some things that the Canon proprietary software will do that Photoshop won't. For instance, dust-delete data can only be applied using DPP (Canon's editing software). Seeing where you focus point actually was, is only visible using DPP. You can shoot tethered with the Canon EOS utility. DPP also has the lens corrections for Canon lenses, which I am not sure Photoshop does. So, Canon-proprietary information is accessible only via Canon's software. For everything else, there's Photoshop (or Gimp, or Lightroom, or...).

I always suggest to my students that they start with the program that came with the camera. However, since your more familar with PS, it may be too basic. However, CS2 is not going to be able to read the files from that camera, and there isn't an update to allow that to happen.

You could download the DNG program from Adobe that is free that should support your new camera.

Perhaps Keith will drop in and give your more information as this is certainly in his "wheel house".

That's right! This was really disappointing. The highest camera raw version CS2 supports is 3.7, I need 7.1 for my camera :( So I followed that rabbit trail to the DWG converter, and it really seems like DWG is a better format because it is not specific to a certain sensor.

Thanks for the comments everyone! I'm just sitting back and reading everyone's thoughts.

Whiskey

I would say, no. Either upgrade from CS2 or get Lightroom4 for the bulk of your processing and use CS2 to finish the rest.

I also didn't find any of it useful. Because I'm still using CS5.5 I have to do the DNG converter dance too. BTW, it's DNG. DWG is a format used in CAD software.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back