Canoe on the bay

mrodgers

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Have not been visiting the forum for quite some time, or at least logging on. I have been visiting now and then and looking at "active topics" link.

Anyways, I rarely have posted photos I've taken on here. I think I need to for a boost and any thoughts that come from everyone. So, here is one of my latest....

Took a trip to Erie with the girls a few weekends ago. My oldest daughter (8) took her camera and we roamed around a bit together. Saw this girl coming in the canoe on the bay side and got off a few shots.

Tell me what you think. Please note, camera is a limited Fuji S5700.

1/400, f/6.3, ISO64
20090730DSCF1374.jpg

Hi there! Long time no see. :D

I like the idea of this shot -tiny little boat in a great big bay, but I think it might benifit with less sky or less water. Personally I'd crop out most of the sky and then maybe lighten the shadows a bit. Just my humble opinion.

Thanks Dagwood, for the comment.

Yeah, probably would be better with less sky or water from a crop. One thing I always wondered is what folks generally do with crops. I tend to leave all crops even for upload at standard common print sizes, which I use 4x6 for landscape orientation and 8x10 for portrait orientation.

I didn't want to crop more because I wanted the length in the industrial shoreline in the back. Also didn't want to crop tighter on the girl in the canoe because of what you said, small boat in a big bay. It would sort of lose that feeling. Thus my standard of cropping to a 4x6 print ratio netted that amount.

As for the lighter shadows, that gave me a heads up on an issue I have. It is lighter viewed in Photoshop than the jpeg output. Previously, anything I saved after post in Photoshop came out way more saturated than it was within Photoshop.

To look at that issue, I opened the saved file on my PC in both Photoshop and IE as well as opened the uploaded file on Photobucket in IE to compare. Yup, the image viewed in Photoshop is a tad lighter (you can see more detail in the boat). There is not a huge difference, but the difference is definitely noticeable.

Could you (or someone else) possibly shed some light on that for me? I get confused with colorspace and all the assigning profiles and all that jazz in Photoshop.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back