Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro

chammer, your photography has made some serious progress since I first saw it here.

If it wasn't for the bedsheet, the dog shots would be very, very nice. It does remind me of your pet photo idea of once upon a time. Rather than another lens, shouldn't you be investing in a little studio gear and start getting paid? After all, the pet industry rakes in the $. It is often said people spend more on their pets than on their kids :lol: Why not grab a chunk of that?

Are those English Bulldogs? I wanted one of those but they were a bit out of my price range hah... for the cost of an Eng. Bulldog from a good breeder around I couldve bought 2 macro L lenses :lol:

Haha! Yeah, these little guys are going for a little bit of change. These guys more so than the last group due to who their father is. :)

chammer, your photography has made some serious progress since I first saw it here.

Much thanks, c.cloudwalker! I see it too...sometimes, but then I have a bad day and it makes me feel like I just picked up a camera for the first time again. :(

If it wasn't for the bedsheet, the dog shots would be very, very nice. It does remind me of your pet photo idea of once upon a time. Rather than another lens, shouldn't you be investing in a little studio gear and start getting paid? After all, the pet industry rakes in the $. It is often said people spend more on their pets than on their kids :lol: Why not grab a chunk of that?

Awww c'mon...the bedsheet is my trademark, right?! :lmao: It's funny though...a background stand and some seamless were *supposed* to be my next purchases yet I ended up with this...go figure. I'd love to have a pair of B800's and some CyberSyncs (or PW's), but it seems to never get there. There's always something else more important. Right now, for instance, I'm trying to find a 5D Mark I for the low light capability for indoor doggy shows. I don't happen to recall the pet photo idea, however. :( The only idea I recall, and still want to do, is the park bench one... :)

These puppies are the only "studio" type shots I ever get, and it's only like 10%. The other 90% is outdoors getting candids or at shows both indoors and outdoors. Hard to justify setting up studio stuff for such a small part for right now. Not to mention 3 of them are going to their new homes starting Thursday, so won't have much left to shoot with studio gear until at least next year.

I get what you're saying, however, and I very much appreciate it. It comes off as quite the compliment. :) Though I just don't feel I am quite ready just yet with either my skill or my gear (I think the full frame 5D would compliment this type of shooting very well also), and as much as I've tried to get her friends to let me practice on their dogs as well...only 1 has taken me up on the offer (and even tipped me $40!). I'll get there though...perhaps later this year or so...but yea, it's definitely on my mind. I'm not much of a people person so pets do fit 100%. :thumbup:

I thought you had talked of doing pet portraits... Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong person. It's called getting old :grumpy:

Eh...I probably have since it is something I'd like to do. No worries! :)

A guy on here late last week was asking $1300 for a 5D with the battery grip, and just over 6,000 actuations...that's low miles...I do not know the seller, just pointing out what seems like a good deal for a low-use 5D + battery grip.

Derrel: Yea, that seems to be what I am finding now too which, sadly, is just outside of my budget. I could stretch to $1200 if it was absolutely pristine, but I was looking more around the $1000 mark. I've passed on a couple very nice ones around $1150 simply because I wasn't 100% on them.

Frankly, while I think its the correct route to go based on our other discussion, my heart is still set on a 1d3 and I'm not sure I would be happy with anything but that. Looking at side by side comparisons from a 5D2, 1D3, and a 7D which compared image quality between the 3...it was seeing the crop factor side by side which drew my attention. The 1.3 crop didn't seem as noticeable as the 1.6 crop which makes me think the 70-200 would be just as viable on that as it would on the 5D, and the 1D3 also seems to get rave reviews on its high ISO capability. However, the 1D3 is simply in another price range and would have to wait even longer for that if I didn't sell the 50D first...which I am very seriously considering since after the May 29th show I'd have a few weeks break in which I could use to get the 50D sold, and find a 1D3 I'd be happy with.

Another option I'm toying with is to do away with the notion of getting a used body, and selling both the 50D and my Tamron 17-50 2.8 (which I sadly can't use on a full frame body) and picking up a new 5D2. The only major concern is that I do like to shoot action, and would like to have a body capable of that. I know the 5D/5D2 can do it...but just not as well.

I did have a chance to go back and check 3200 on my 50D, and I think I could make it work if I spent some time with the images in post, but there is some obvious banding in the top 1/3rd of the image which causes me some concern.

However it turns out I'm sticking to my guns and making sure I don't rush anything. For once I'm being patient, and letting things fall how they will. :)

Screw the lens I want a puppy. love the shots of the babies. Another lens that is somewhere in my distant future. Great closeups all around.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back