Canon 18-55 image stabilization

kujen92

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a Canon XSi with the kit lens (EF-S 18-55 IS) as well as the 70-300 IS. I noticed on the 70-300 IS that I can see the effect of image stabilization when I press the shutter half way - I can tell the IS is turning on as the image in the viewfinder stabilizes.

I have never noticed this with the 18-55 IS kit lens. Is it supposed to have the same obvious effect, that you can see through the viewfinder? Or has my kit lens had a broken IS the whole time?

If you have the IS kit lens please let me know if it is supposed to be obvious like the 70-300 IS or if it's a different kind of stabilization.

Easy way to check is to shoot with really low shutter speed like 1/4 on both IS on and off. you should notice a difference in camera shake.

I know with long lenses (don't have one myself with image stabilizer but just borrowed one last week) that you indeed notice the stabilizer working. It gives a weird feeling that the world stopped moving.
Never noticed this with my kit lens. Probably because the magnification is so much smaller.
But don't worry, your stabilizer is working alright! Just make sure you turn it off when using a trypod or something. When your camera is completely still, your stabilizer will search for movement anyway and cause trembles doing so.

You don't notice it because the camera shake is much less evident on shorter focal lengths. The longer you zoom in the more you notice every little nuance of movement.

That explains it then. Thanks everyone!

Ya, I've never noticed the VR on my 18-55 working, but the VR on my 70-300 (especially at 300) is one of the most amazing pieces of technology I've ever seen.

Ya, I've never noticed the VR on my 18-55 working, but the VR on my 70-300 (especially at 300) is one of the most amazing pieces of technology I've ever seen.

I can't agree more! Like I said it seem as if your camera freezes the world around you!:mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back