Canon 1D X vs. 5D Mark III

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by sharpiegoddess, Mar 3, 2012.

1. EIngerson

EIngerson Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Both of those cameras will perform flawlessly for anything you want to shoot. The only question I have is if you're ready to make that big of a jump from a Rebel. I'm not trying to be insulting, but many people don't understand how big of a jump it really is.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Agreed. It's her money. WTF is it to you what equipment she's looking to buy?? Are you her financial manager? Business adviser? Seriously...the comment, as brief as it was is what's called a "drive-by insult".

Anyway, the 1DX is a large, heavy, flagship-level camera. The 5D-III is lighter, smaller, and around 50% less costly. DITCH the EF-S lenses by selling them. They will be of no use to you on a full-frame Canon body. You wouldn't want them if they did fit,anyway. THe 5D-III qualifies as a "professional camera"...the 5D-II did NOT....it had a good sensor in it, but a poor AF system for the most-challenging types of situations. The 5D-III has a much more-advanced AF system that should work well for those willing to learn to use it. I say "should" because the 1D Mark III autofocusing fiasco is still relatively recent, but I am going to assume that the new 61-point AF system is a good one. This is the first digital SLR Canon has ever made in which the AF system of the TOP-level body, the 1DX, is shared with another camera...something Nikon has been doing for over half a decade now. The 5D-III is the camera that the 5D-II should have been...a true pro camera...

One thing I can say with some certainty: there will be a BOATLOAD of used Canon lenses and bodies on the used market over the next eight months to a year; whenever a camera maker comes out with "the next big thing", tens of thousands of hobbyists, and pros alike, will SELL equipment to raise cash, and to simply be shooting the "next big thing". Both the 1DX and the 5D-III qualify as the next BIG advancement for Canon, so there will be some very good deals on older lenses and bodies. I suggest buying used lenses instead of new.

• Like Like x 2
  3. sharpiegoddess

sharpiegoddess TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It's not that I don't understand lens mounts. I simply read some misinformation and thought maybe there is some new technology that's getting slapped onto it where you can mount both types. *Shrugs* That's what I get for letting Wiki give my hopes up.

No worries.

I grasp that it's going to be a jump and I'm planning for the time it's going to take to warm up to it before it can be added to my 'work lineup.' The only reason I have two Rebels is because, at the time, money was an issue but I needed to upgrade from film if I was going to get anywhere.

Derrel, thanks for the heads up about lenses and your input. I was thinking about keeping my Rebels and EF-S lenses to shoot stuff with my son but the more I think about it I think that's best left to a P&S. I don't know how parents do it lugging around DSLRs and chasing after their kids.

4. greybeard

greybeard Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I am of the opinion that you need to get to a FF body as soon as you can if that is the format you intend to work in. As far as money goes, it really is nobody's business how much you spend and the great thing about digital, is you can practice for free. Not true in the bad old days of film.

5. jamesbjenkins

jamesbjenkins No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Well, if you're going to be dumping your lenses and Rebel body anyway, there's no $$ reason for you to stay with Canon. Come on over to Nikon and you can get a better camera (D800) than the overhyped and overpriced 5DIII. For shooting people, Nikon's AF is world's better. Especially in low-light. By comparison, the 5DII AF is slightly better than a bag full of dog poop.

For what you say you primarily shoot, Nikon will serve your needs better, methinks.

You'd be doing yourself a huge disservice if you don't consider ALL your options when looking at a major change/upgrade in equipment. Your "comfort" with the Canon menus and such is irrelevant in the longterm...

6. menkaur

menkaur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    hey. I'm having the same issue with those cameras.

I'm a studio/wedding photographer.

Until recently, I was totally convinced, that I needed Canon EOS 1D X camera, and I was collecting money to buy it. And yesterday, I saw the specs for the new Canon 5D Mark 3 camera body, and I see a lot of the stuff that appeared to me (like 61 auto focus point).

5D Mark III Full Spec List? « Canon Rumors
    Canon Professional Network - The EOS-1D X explained: inside Canon

I don't plan to shut at 204 000 ISO, and at this moment I don't expect to see much difference between 12 fps and 6 fps in terms of the resulting photography quality. Also, in terms of the results for my clients, there's little practical difference between 18.1MP and 22.3MP shots.

The most important thing that I saw, was the difference in shutter durability (150 000 vs 400 000), which makes 1D X shots slightly cheaper.

I still would like to make the decision based on the expected image quality. I saw many photos which were made with 1D's and other cameras before, and I can say, that having a 1D did make a difference to photo quality in the past. My question is: will the image quality of those cameras be identical, or does 1D offer any other advantages, which I have missed?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  7. sharpiegoddess

sharpiegoddess TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Must not let dark side tempt me... :crazy:
    Will not join you... not even for cookies... :banghead:

I swooned over the D800 for several long minutes. I had to repent for each one of them.

8. LightSpeed

LightSpeed TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You're in the real school now.
    You may not want to believe it but some of these cats know, very well, what they're talking about.
    Reference Cgipson, KmH, Derrel and HelenB.

Welcome to the forum.
    I think you'll find it an unusual experience.
    I am LightSpeed, pleased to make your acquaintance.

9. TheBiles

TheBiles TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Good thing the 5D III packs better AF than the D800, better low-light performance, and faster continuous shooting. I don't even see the point of bringing up the 5D II's AF when the discussion was about the III. The 5D III is for people who are looking for more than a ridiculous number of megapixels. It seems like any long-time Nikon user would easily say the 5D III is more of a D700 successor than the D800.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

10. molested_cow

molested_cow TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Well, if you don't need video, may be the D700.....:)

11. sharpiegoddess

sharpiegoddess TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks!

12. o hey tyler

o hey tyler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Yes, because no one uses Canon in the professional world... :lmao:

What a joke. OP, this advice is about as sound as Ken Rockwell's.

Check this out.