Canon 1D X vs. 5D Mark III

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by sharpiegoddess, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'd like to take a second to offer an opinion on which camera has the better AF system and the better low-light performance. First off, the Nikon D800 has a new AF system that is specified to autofocus with optics with maximum apertures as small as f/8; that is a simply incredible figure!!! What that means is that slow lenses, paired with teleconverters, will still autofocus. In a practical sense, that specification, how "slow" the lens can be and still deliver autofocusing that is reliable, is the TRUE measure of AF system capability--much,much,much more so than the number of autofocusing points.

As far as low-light shooting: my feeling is that the D800 and the D4, will be able to actually achieve fast,reliable autofocusing in dimmer light levels than the Canon system in the 5D-III. AND, this is the biggie, the Nikon bodies will be able to deliver their AF with sloooooow lenses, such as zooms + teleconverters. As far as shooting speeds, the D800 is a six frames per second camera, just like the 5D-III is. The D800 users simply has to move down from a FX capture size to get that 6 FPS speed.

In a way, the Nikon D800 is TWO cameras in one: an ultra-high resolution 36MP camera, as well as a 16.2 MP crop-body camera....

Right now, today, user reports and real samples for both the D800 and the 5D-III are scarce. But as far as camera that have "better autofocus", the number of AF points is not really a very good measure of AF performance. The real world determines how well a camera tends to be at focusing. Canon 's 1D Mark III was perhaps the single biggest AF flop of the entire decade, with its 39 AF points...but the actual real-world perfomance over 18 months made Canon's "pro" camera into a laughing stock, and they lost tens of thousands of shooters to Nikon, which simply had a much better AF system in multiple bodies. I expect the 5D-III will be much better than the 5D-II in terms of AF, but that's not saying much. It'll be nice to see how these two new cameras actually work in real-world situations!!!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  2. penfolderoldo

penfolderoldo TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ...and that's exactly what it is - hype! Canon are seriously away in fairy land at the moment - in addition to the frankly ridiculous price for the 5D mark III, the battery grip for it comes in at £350 and the new 600EX speedlight comes in at £650!!!! Now, those will inevitably drop a bit, but nowhere near where they should be! and Canon wonder why they're haemorraging 'togs to Nikon left right and centre...

• Like Like x 1
  3. soylentgreen

soylentgreen TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would consider the 5D MkIII just for the auto-focus alone. The 11-point system on the MkII works, but it leaves a lot to be desired. Image quality should not be a problem with either models. The added 1.5 frames per second on the MkIII over the MkII is a big plus. Almost puts it on par with the 7D. The 1Dx is more for action, sports; hence the lower MP but faster frame rate. you really can't go wrong with either camera, though I have not heard a release date on the 1Dx yet. That is the body I may unload both my 5D MkII and 7D to get...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    What is up with these sky-high battery grip prices???

5. MLeeK

MLeeK TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    For what you are shooting the 5d2 is a great camera. The 5d3 looks phenomenal. The 1dX is overkill. I have a 1d3 that I will be replacing this year and as much as I WANT a 1DX it's simply more than I TRULY need. The new 5d3 combined with my 7D will cover both my portrait/wedding stuff and my sports.
    The 1dX is more geared towards professional sports shooters.
    Provided the focus system in the 5d3 performs close to my 7D? I am happy as a pig in poop with it. I have considered crossing over several times, but the cost? I just can't justify it and I think that the new specs for the 5d3 have made me content with my canon gear once again.

6. pgriz

pgriz Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Probably the same pricing model as for spare parts at your auto dealer. When you got them by the shorties, you can make them dance any tune you want.

7. jamesbjenkins

jamesbjenkins No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I'll only respond to your blatant fanboyism by saying that Canon's history in AF performance has been woeful by comparison to comparable products Nikon offers. There are plenty of things that Canon excels at, but AF is not one of them. Until I'm proven wrong, past performance is the best indicator of future performance. And FWIW, I'd gladly pit the AF from my 3.5 yr old D700 against that new 5DIII. Canon AF sucks. Plain and simple.

As for high ISO performance, 10 minutes of research on DxOmark or another stat site will tell any objective viewer that the visible noise is noticeably worse than the Nikon competitor. This is true of the EOS 1D X vs. D4 as well. Strike two against your fanboyism.

And finally, if you really think that continuous shooting speed means a damn thing in the real world application of either the D800 or the 5DIII, then you're obviously not in the target customer demographic for either camera. Last time I checked, no one gave a rat's rear end about FPS when they're in their studio, or on a hillside somewhere. If they did, they'd buy a D4 (or 1D X if they want to tote inferior gear.) Arguing about continuous shooting speed...really? Strike three against your fanboyism.

You can sign off now.

:sexywink:

• Like Like x 1
  8. o hey tyler

o hey tyler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    James, you realize that your fanboyism (as you call it) also shines through in your post. The AF in the 7D was nothing to scoff at. As a matter of fact, that's an AF system that Canon got VERY RIGHT, and it works surprisingly well. I find it disheartening that you're judging and poo-pooing the 5DIII AF system without any real world tests, when in fact it will more than likely perform very well. The specs of the 5DIII have shown me that Canon is actually listening to consumers and implementing better autofocus, as well as not trying to push the megapixel count like the 5DII did when it was first out.

From what I've heard from various sources is that the 5DIII is very capable of putting out clean images at 25,600ISO. I've looked for a comparison of the two cameras at the same ISO, but its still too early.

The OP is a Canon shooter. And whether she's looking at a 5DIII or a 1Dx, there's not a big giant reason for her to switch camera systems at this point when the offerings she is looking at are on par with Nikon's technology on paper. Maybe when real world tests are done and she can conclude that one is better than the other, there might be a reason for her to switch... But there probably won't be any reason at all.

Lets not force conjecture and speculation on the OP because you're biased towards Nikon. That's all I am saying.

• Like Like x 3
  9. penfolderoldo

penfolderoldo TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    James, i'm with Tyler on this one - you've just done exactly what you berated TB for doing! To say that Canon has never been known for it's AF is palpably ludicrous - when AF first came out for years 95% of pro photographers - who rely on their gear for their livelihood remember - chose Canon over Nikon. Have Canon produced some truly shocking AF systems in recent years? you better believe they have! but to imply that Nikon's AF is always superior to Canon's (or anyone else's for that matter) is a sweeping generalisation too far.

Both Canon and Nikon have produced some fantastic, earth shattering cameras over recent years, just as both have produced some absolute horrors, doesn't make either MANUFACTURER better, just means certain PRODUCTS are better.

It is FAR too early to tell which will camera will give better overall performance, but can I suggest that before you pour scorn and petty insults on the 1Dx or any other camera you perhaps try them? Have you tried the 1Dx? or even the D4? No, thought not...

• Like Like x 2
  10. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm surprised that nobody mentioned sticking with a crop sensor camera, and putting the difference into lenses and lighting equipment. Those will likely make much more of a difference to the type of shooting you mention, than the camera body that you use.

If you take a Rebel, put an L lens on it, and then use good quality and sufficient lighting...you'll likely be better off than if you bought a 1Dx and cheaper lenses and inadequate lighting.

And if you're going to be shooting in-studio or in a situation where you have full control over the lighting...then you probably won't need to shoot at high ISO, nor will you need super fancy AF etc. Those things are great, but if you trade them for a great lens, it might be a good trade.

As an example, I know and work with a fantastic photographer. His main wedding camera is a Canon 1DsmkIII. He has several other cameras, including a Nikon D700. He says that he uses the 1Ds mainly because it's rock solid and it has two memory card slots. When he shoots portraits, he uses his 40D.

11. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I liked your post because I feel that you may be lonely and need friends. Want a hug buddy? We don't have to be so angry all the time.

12. Nikon_Josh

Nikon_Josh TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

To be honest, I feel both statements are wrong in their own different and distinct ways. Why is it when these discussions come up that they have to revolve around people claiming one is 'BETTER' than the other? The D800 is going to be an amazing camera and the 5D MKIII will be an amazing camera I'm sure.

I feel Canon have been slightly misguided over the last few years, they have been great with video but not so great on the photographic side of things. I think it was a sign of complacency if anything.

But Canon are now back in the game with these camera releases, the prices are beyond a JOKE. I agree with Penfold on this one. But I think the high prices are a signal of Canon actually going back to doing some decent R & D on their cameras and actually bringing something powerful to the table.

The 1DX and 5D III are both cameras which will really change things I suspect in a good way for Canon, it is not a case of which is better. I think Canon and Nikon are now back on a level playing field with these announcements.

The 5D MKIII will be a great all round full frame camera which could be all any photographer would ever need in my opinion. The D800 is a powerful full frame studio/landscape which can be used as a 16MP DX camera. This is pretty damn cool for both brand users.

• Like Like x 2