Canon 24-70 L or 24-105 L ????

A4Effort

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK, I have been looking for an all around lens. I have been taking my time because I wanted to see what else is out there. Now I am debating between these two lenses. Both are Canon L so picture quality will be great. Now with the 24-70 I will have advantages of shooting in low light and have a faster shutter speed but I won't be able to focus up to 105 like I would with the 24-105. This will be used for photojournalism which will include sports, band performances, etc.....

I'm leaning towards the 24-70. Could I used a tele converter with this lens that way I would not have to make this choice?

For photojournalism I strongly recommend the IS of the 24-105. I returned a 24-70 because my hit rate for hand held low-ish light was pretty bad.

For wedding & studio work the 24-70 is a gem... or anytime it is in fast light & or on a tripod. BTW since the 24-105 is paired with the D5 Mark II, there will be some 'new condition' private party sales going down.. In fact I saw a pre-sale ad here in SD for $950.

-Shea

Thank you for the information. The image stabilization is an important factor. This is not an easy decision.

If I got the 24-105, I could always pair it with a flash.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

It's personal preference really. A lot of weddings have horrible lighting but people still use the 24-70 all the time.

^ Wait did you mean that people still use the 24-105 even in bad lighting?

Same question was asked several times in the past... There is some good input from this thread from just a few days ago:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144139

within that thread are more links to other threads that discuss the same.

I've owned and shot with both but in the end, I enjoyed packing a 24-105L and a 50mm f/1.4 more than just the 24-70L. BUT that is a personal choice depending on your shooting habits.

I just purchased the 24-105mm L lens. Can't wait to start using it.

Good choice! I had her in my hands again today on the 5DMII,.. probably my next lens too.

Maybe you can give us your impressions in a month or so..

-Shea

Good choice! I had her in my hands again today on the 5DMII,.. probably my next lens too.

Maybe you can give us your impressions in a month or so..

-Shea

Yes, I will make sure to do that. So far I love it but I will go further into detail down the road.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back