Canon 24-70L vs 24-105L

It's alright, pretty much in line with my experiences.

If I shot canon, and needed a midrange zoom, the 24-105 would be my only option. The 28-135IS sucks and the 24-70 is a little too boring.

Honestly, though, I wouldn't shoot Canon for their zoom lenses. I'd shoot canon becuase the 14L, 24L, 35L, 50 1.4, 85L, and 135L are all awesome lenses.

The only zoom lenses i would get if i shot canon would be the 70-200 f/4 IS or maybe the 24-105L if i needed flexibility. Otherwise, it's primes all the way.

That's what i'm doing with my Nikon system because they're new primes are pretty much setting the benchmarks. i've read lots of people say the new 24G is better than even the leica version(!) and my 50G is a much sharper and smoother lens than my friend's Canon 50 1.2 and 1.4's when printed. We did a side-by-side test in the studio, it was crazy. 50G on D700, 50L and 501.4 on the 5D mark 1, so they're both 12ish MP.

Switch-
I agree that primes are better than zooms in most every respect, however, my question is how "functional" are primes when shooting with only one body? If you're doing an event, it may be too time consuming to switch glass and miss a shot? Yes? If not, can you share a good workaround?

How to deal with multiple primes in an event? Easy peasy... if you have 4 primes, just bring 4 bodies so you dont have to switch out the lenses :lmao:

>SNIP> my question is how "functional" are primes when shooting with only one body? If you're doing an event, it may be too time consuming to switch glass and miss a shot? Yes? If not, can you share a good workaround?

Missed shots?? There's no such thing as a missed shot! If you take a shot, then you've taken a shot. If you don't take a shot, there's no shot; ergo, there is no such thing as a missed shot. [The preceding is a very old idea,and it's not a joke concept, but a real concept.]

I grew up shooting a 2- or 3-body setup (usually two,since three is a PITA) with a shoulder bag loaded with 24,28,35,50,85,105,135,200mm lenses. All except the 200 were smaller, 52-mm diameter Nikkors, lenses that were very small and light compared to today's AF lenses.

Changing lenses is actually quite fast if you're practiced at it...it takes about three to four seconds to do, with the camera right around your neck on the strap. Using two bodies is easier than changing lenses. The advantages of prime lenses are overstated IMHO; today's better zooms are amply good for most event type work.

Never had a problem with 24L, 50, 85, 135 either...

Simply get rid of the stupid lens caps, stop worrying, and keep a well designed compartmentalized shoulder bag open.

well.. ok... I kinda lied. M42 ( and LTM) screwmounts are royal PITA...

usayit said:
Simply get rid of the stupid lens caps, stop worrying, and keep a well designed compartmentalized shoulder bag open.

As my friend Mike used to say, "Dizactly!"

bottom line is this whole game is about compromise. The canon L zooms are very sharp, and not much different when comparing with primes, unless you are looking at pics side by side of prime vs. non-prime, and even then it may be impossible to tell.
I think i'm going to stick with my 24-105, 70-200 2.8is, and 50 1.2L, and 16-35 2.8L.

There isn't much that can't be done with that setup.

Derrel, as far as a missed shot goes, yes that may be correct, but there is such thing as not capturing a moment that your client expects you to. The logic does not carry into the real world.

Thanks all for your input and help!

Most reactions

Back