What's new

Canon 28-135mm lens

quackal

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
38
Reaction score
0
I know it's a kit lens, however I'm interested in what others who have used this lens think of it. It seems like it has a good focal range and I would probably use it as a walk-around lens.

The other lens I'm looking at is the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD so if anyone has had experience with either, your feedback would be appreciated.

I shoot with a Canon 7D.

Thanks!
 
Back in the film days, the 28-135mm was thought of as being an ideal (mid-quality) walk-around lens. You are right that the focal length range is pretty good. Of course, there are wider range zooms...18-200mm and so on...but those really tend to compromise on quality, more than most photographers would like.

The 28-135mm does have a downside, and that is that it's maximum aperture is only F4-5.6 (or thereabouts). So you may have a hard time getting fast shutter speeds in low light. It's not a top quality lens, but it's not on the bottom of the list either.

Personally, I would prefer something wider for a walk-around lens. I've got the 18-85mm IS, which is pretty much the EF-S version of the EF 28-135mm. All the other comments apply to both lenses. It's a good, mid-level zoom lens but the max aperture leaves something to be desired.

There is a new one, the 15-85mm IS, which is said to be better...but I haven't heard too much about it.

I do also have the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8...it's one of my favorite lenses, and the one I use most often for shooting weddings etc. The large max aperture is great and it's optical quality is pretty good for the price. It's not as good as the Canon 17-55mm F2.8 IS, but it's less than half the price. There is a new version of this lens, with 'VC' (Tamron's version of IS), but it's a good deal more expensive.

So it really comes down to what you want out of a lens and what you would mostly shoot with it. If you are going to be shooting in situations where you'll need a faster shutter speed (hand held in low light, or with moving subjects) then you may be better off with the Tammy because of the max aperture. But if you're shooting in bright daylight, then extra range of the 28-135 (or 15/17-85mm) might be better.
 
thanks for the response! (...and for moving the post to the appropriate spot :)
 
I have one and been pretty happy with it. I do wish it was a faster lens but for the $$ I can not complain. I would like to get a canon 15-55mm EF-S or the 24-70L lens F2.8 But there right about the $1000 range. Like said above I do wish it was a bit wider since it is on a aps sensor camera.
 
f/3.5-f/5.6

Its still a good lens even by today's standards. It was one of the first that implemented IS and a good bang for buck. I know many people who still shoot with it till today. My biggest problem with it is that 28mm seem pretty long on a crop body AND there are more alternate options out there now.
 
Can anyone speak to a comparison between the Canon 15-85mm vs. the 28-135mm (as far as quality, sharpness, etc.)?
 
I am actually trading my Canon 70-300mm IS for the Canon 28-135mm IS this weekend (deal through Craigslist). I have enjoyed using the 70-300mm, especially when shooting college sports from the stands, but now that I'm on the field (or on the floor) with a press pass, it's too much lens. Also, I have a Sigma 70-300mm without stabilization and I like the look it gives me more than the Canon... So next is upgrading that to the OS version.

I did rent the 28-135mm for a weekend first to do a side-by-side comparisonn with the 70-300mm and I think the 28-135mm is sharper.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom