What's new

canon 28-300 (and competition)

frisco

TPF Noob!
Joined
May 6, 2011
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Location
texas
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am wanting a single all-purpose lens (with possibility someday of a tokina 11-16 to fill the wide-angle gap) and on advice have concluded to choose "glass first" for my upgraded 7d body Despite weight, the canon 28-300 seems like the only choice (vs the Tamron 28-300). The problem for me is the push-pull design. Question: does anyone know whetehr Canon might come out with a twist design for same lens, or am I dreaming?
 
I doubt Canon will update that lens. It's not very popular except with paparazzi who use it for red carpet work, They are the lens's target market.
 
thanks. What I assumed. Subjective choice but what's the thought on best or most convenient one-purpose lens travel wise to use with APS-C sensor? Or need I rethink my convenience issue re single lens--I have done the two lens switch system and it's sort of a pain--as I am not a pro and have other focus issues while traveling (family etc). (Canon user).
 
It depends on what you are planning on using the lens for but there are a few decent options for everyday use. If you want to stay with the Canon brand they have an 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 that would serve you quite well or a 55-250mm f/4-5.6. Out of those two I would prefer the 18-200 but there is a cost difference as well. If you are willing to go with a Sigma you could choose from a 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 or even a 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 and they are both cheaper than the similar Canon lenses. To find a really nice lens you can check out the L series but you have to be willing to spend some serious $ to get a good zoom. I personally have the Sigma 18-200mm and it works out quite well, again, for general purposes. It does weigh down the camera more, but that is to be expected with a larger zoom lens, and you get used to it. It does not always focus as fast as I would like, but, again, that can be expected with longer zooms and an average quality lens.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom