What's new

Canon 400mm f/2.8 $7000+ "not out of reach!!"

ottor

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Feb 7, 2009
Messages
935
Reaction score
173
Location
S. Idaho
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I always thought I'd never get a relatively expensive lens like that, but my wife, over the weekend, said while we were discussing hobbies and interests, mentioned that I could get a Harley if I wanted... Woah - got me thinking..... How about other guys' hobbies....

Camping - $15 - 20K for a camp trailer - 5th wheel
Dirt Bikes - $6-7k for a good one
Motorcycling - Harley is about $20k
Hunting - don't even ask...


Now, thinking like that, makes the purchase of a lens like this a lot more realistic.... It may be expensive, but it still puts me way on the low end of "Guy Toys".... :thumbup:

For right now, I' m still saving up for a UV filter... A really good one !!
 
Yah its always the case - people looked shocked when you tell them the price of a lens, but then you compare it to say their car, gun, boat, etc.... Even fairly cheap hobbies can rank up costs very quickly - consider with a modest SLR and 50mm lens you could spend a small fortune in film over time, even if you processed B&W at home.
 
Yeah, I was actually thinking of that a few days ago. My dream lens is about the same price (the Canon 500mm f/4) and I am the sort that buys a cheap car and drives it into the ground rather than blowing $$ on an expensive car or buying new cars on a regular basis.

In the interim, my used 400/5.6 should be shipped today and I should see it by the end of the week :)
 
Forget the Harley get a GS BMW
 
The S1000RR BMW is more my taste :)
 
I think about this all the time... My hunting takes up a few thousand dollars a year, and that is only in a 4 month window. And none of that I even bat an eye at. But then my wife and I get into an argument over a $300 car set for my son. :lmao:
 
I spent about $50k on hookers and blow last year. Talk about an expenssive hobby

:D

My motos are cheap. I picked up an '06 Daytona 675 with 4100 miles for $5150.
 
Yeah, funny how an honest financial discussion with the missus can sometime bring unexpected responses. A Harley is more expensive than the Canon 400/2.8, so, hey, maybe you ought to consider a 500mm lens, if you want it for birding/nature work.
 
If you looking at the 500 you may as well get the 600 whilst you are at it.
 
Can't you get a 1200mm?
 
If you looking at the 500 you may as well get the 600 whilst you are at it.

Nah, too heavy! Also not hand-holdable, whereas many birders hand-hold the 500 for brief moments. Also have to buy a full Wimberly for the 600, whereas you can use the Sidekick with the 500.

Then again, there's always the 800/5.6 ... It's only $12K and still less than that Harley.
 
Get a motorcycle.. its way better than a camera lens.
 
It may be expensive, but it still puts me way on the low end of "Guy Toys".... :thumbup:

For right now, I' m still saving up for a UV filter... A really good one !![/QUOTE]


That is funny!


You purchase the 500, and with the money left over spend it on a couple of really cool photo trips!!!!!!!:thumbup:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom