Canon 40D a good first DSLR?

PJL

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm moving away from film (finally) and want to get a DSLR. I was originally thinking of going whole hog and getting a 60D, Nikon D7000, or Canon 7D, but decided I don't want to spend that kind of money at this point. I've tried some of the Rebel line DSLRs, but they feel too small in my hand. KEH has the 40D for under $600 in excellent condition. Do you think it's worth it? Other recommendations would be welcome, as well. I only have 1 EOS compatible lens at this point, so I wouldn't be completely averse to going to a different system.

Since I am a 40D owner, so I will say yes. :D

All the Canon lenses that fit your Elan should works with the 40D.

try the opposite... D40.

While I see it was a jest, the D40 is way inferior to the 40D. The 40D is a very capable camera, great shooting, nice ISO. Its a bit older technology, but still a very capable camera in the hands of someone who knows their stuff.

Sure, the 7D is better, but if the 40D was great before the 7D came out, its still great.

Personally, don't just buy a 40d b/c you are impatient. You'll only regret the purchase and always say "what if..." about the d90. If you think you can save the money and are debating between the two, go with d90.

I'd also suggest going to a store and holding a canon vs nikon to see whichever suits your feel.

I'm moving away from film (finally) and want to get a DSLR. I was originally thinking of going whole hog and getting a 60D, Nikon D7000, or Canon 7D, but decided I don't want to spend that kind of money at this point. I've tried some of the Rebel line DSLRs, but they feel too small in my hand. KEH has the 40D for under $600 in excellent condition. Do you think it's worth it? Other recommendations would be welcome, as well. I only have 1 EOS compatible lens at this point, so I wouldn't be completely averse to going to a different system.
If you think the Rebels are too small, you'll probably like the 40D better than the 60D.
The 50D was, to many people, the last in that line (10D, 20D, 30D, 40D & 50D). Canon went in a new direction with the 60D...it's a lot more like the Rebels than the previous models.
The 60D still has plenty of cool features that the Rebels don't have, but it's still smaller than the 40D, 50D or 7D.

Personally, don't just buy a 40d b/c you are impatient. You'll only regret the purchase and always say "what if..." about the d90. If you think you can save the money and are debating between the two, go with d90.

I'd also suggest going to a store and holding a canon vs nikon to see whichever suits your feel.
Well, it's not really "preferring" the D90. I'm just considering it. The ISO performance seems to be better, but looking at the image comparisons on dpreview, the images look to be softer than what dpreview deemed to be its competition (not the Canon 40D/50D, notably).

I've had a chance to hold both Canon and Nikon cameras and don't have a significant preference in body style, although shooting a Canon film SLR I've gotten used to the wheel in the back. Just as long as it has a "prosumer" sized body, I'll be alright.

Well, it's not really "preferring" the D90. I'm just considering it. The ISO performance seems to be better, but looking at the image comparisons on dpreview, the images look to be softer than what dpreview deemed to be its competition (not the Canon 40D/50D, notably).

I've had a chance to hold both Canon and Nikon cameras and don't have a significant preference in body style, although shooting a Canon film SLR I've gotten used to the wheel in the back. Just as long as it has a "prosumer" sized body, I'll be alright.

Plus if your Canon film cameras are EF mount, you'll be able to use those lenses.

Plus if your Canon film cameras are EF mount, you'll be able to use those lenses.
I've only got one EF mount lens that I paid $100 for, so I'm not heartbroken if I switch systems.

new to the dslr market, picked up a D90 about a month ago and I love it, I have nothing to campare it to but my minolta xg-7, but I can tell you that the sharpness/softness of the image is going to depend on the photographer/glass/lighting and not so much the body, so dont sweat your purchase too much as all these camera's are capable but you were correct in saying the D90 does well in low light.

Happy shopping

I also started my DSLR life with the 40D and I still love it. It may depend on the type of photography you plan to do with it, but I haven't run up against the limits of my 40D yet.

The 40D is an alright Canon. Good balance of features for the price.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back