Canon 40D body only or with lens included?

superemone

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying the Canon 40D. But should I buy the body only or buy one with the Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens included? I was thinking of buying with the lens since I wouldn't know which lens to start with!

Thanks all for your help! Awesome forum! :D

Well, either way you're going to need to buy a lens of some sort. So the question is whether to go with the 28-135 or something else (like the cheaper 18-55 kit lens, or the 17-85 that's often bundled -- or jump right to the 24-70L...etc.).

Oddly, it's looking like neither Adorama nor B&H are providing the $200 instant rebate on the 40D package with the 17-85...wonder what that's about.

In any event, I went with the very basic 18-55, and was happy with it -- it cost almost nothing (at the time, it was an extra $50), and allowed time to decide what types of shooting I preferred and (importantly) how much money I wanted to sink into it. I immediately bought a 50mm 1.8 to go with it, and that worked well.

The 28-135 is, by all accounts, a good lens -- but the one caveat is that on a cropped sensor (like the 40D) it may not be wide-angle enough. 28mm-135mm on a 1.6x crop is equivalent to a 45mm-216mm lens...and that's not necessarily a great focal range for general walk-around shooting.

Good luck!

I got my 40D with the 28-135 not knowing much and thinking it was a good starter lens. But after having it for a few months I found that it was too long for my liking. I do make good use of it tho since I do some close up work. But for wider shots, 28 is too long. If I had to do it over again I would have went with the 17-85. It would have been the perfect range for starters.

I agree with Jon0807...the 28-135mm is just too long to be a good 'walk around' lens for a crop camera like the 40D. The 17-85mm is basically the same lens but gives you a wider view.

It's still not the ideal lens, because the max aperture isn't very large. I'd recommend the EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS...if you can afford it, of course.

I'll be upgrading to a 40d soon but had an 18 - 55 kit lens for a while. I don't really have the need for very much of a wide angle lens at the moment and therefore decided to go for a sigma 24-70 f2.8 and a canon 70 - 200 f4 L. and will add Sigma 20mm F/1.8 EX for my wider needs. And a 50 mm f 1.8 as with the crop factor a nice portrait lens.

I do mostly street, portrait and cityscapes. So look at what you are interested in shooting and go from that point onwards.

Thanks all for your help. I will heed your advice and buy just the body, then purchase a 50mm 1.8 separate. I will buy a better lens later on. How does that sound?

Thanks all for your help. I will heed your advice and buy just the body, then purchase a 50mm 1.8 separate. I will buy a better lens later on. How does that sound?
Sounds good.

I just got mine in today, 40D with 28-135 and so far I like it! I upgraded from a Rebel XT and 18-55 lens and now both leses give me 18-135 which I think it's a pretty good range. Next month I'll be getting a 10-22 which will make me a happy happy camper :lmao::lmao:

I'll post pictures tomorrow night after I take the set up for a spin.
If you can get the 40D with the 18-55 which I belive to be a great starter set up for a fairly good price :thumbup:.

I got my kit from Amazon and 6th Ave electronics as the vendor for $1,198.96 no taxes free shipping, ordered it Sunday late night and got here today noon! U.S. Warranty and everything in order.

Most reactions

Back