Canon 40D

GoM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The Henry's in North London doesn't have any in stock, but a bunch are available through company-wide back-order, to be shipped out on an as-need basis until supply exceeds demand, at which time they'll be back out on the floor there.

I'm going back to Toronto this weekend, which'll likely be the first time I'll get to hold the 40D in person. I've used and played with the 30D, though, and the size isn't dramatically different (and I like the size, weight and feel of the 30D), so I'm fairly confident there's going to be no reason I won't get it.

I have the money. I had a rather enlightening hourlong conversation with the associate in the local Henry's today, and it helped that he had a bit more knowledge than I did of the various options going on, and was able to make smart recommendations of what might be best for me. Coupled with my own research...

As of next week, I'm 99.9% likely to order the Canon 40D with the 17-85mm IS lens. I have a film 20-80, which ends up at ~32-128mm equivalent (if I'm right in calculating the film dimensions x1.6 to come up with the digital equivalent?), and between the two that should suffice for my needs for the next little while. This will be my first DSLR, and first proper, outright, bought, earned and clawed for SLR.

The only reason why this won't happen is if, for some unknown reason, the interface/feel of the 40D doesn't feel right to me. Though the chances of that happening...are pretty minimal.

My god am I stoked. Just wish they had one in the Henry's here...but I just want to hold one and test it out fully before I plunk down the change to order it, and the guy I talked to deserve my sale.

Can't wait to join the world of the DSLR :)

Wow, I forgot this part

So, for any who have used or own the 40D...thoughts? opinions? remarks?

Yeah, it rocks!!! A quantum leap over my previous 20D. More MP's, better ISO control, and 6.5 fps. The LCD is huge and Live-View is pretty nifty. Weight and feel are practically identical except for the relocation of the menu buttons due to the larger screen.

Whoops, my math was off...by quite a bit.

Thanks, noob ;)

No problem. you'll love the 40D by the way. I'm hopefully getting a 30D at the end of this year.

The 40D is nice to use and the viewfinder seems clearer that the 350D as well as the large review screen. Still coming to terms with the personalised settings and have had a problem with the camera suddenly preventing me using the viewfinder and only live view to take pictures a couple of times.
The focus is nice as well as having more of a spot metering compared with the 350D. It performed well in front of an audience of children at an Art and Craft event when I was taking the children - converting quickly to a drawing in photoshop as they watched. Feel as if I have joined the big boys and have no excuse for dogy images any longer!

Most reactions

Back