What's new

Canon 50 f1.8

pugnacious33

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 26, 2008
Messages
756
Reaction score
21
Location
MS Gulf Coast
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Talk about bang for your buck! I picked up one of these off KEH for 80 bucks, it is virtually brand new. I got aggravated trying to figure out which zoom to fill the gap between my 10-20 and my 100-400, I was kinda set on a tamron 28-75 but then decided I wanted a prime and a macro. Not sure about the macro but knew i'd use the heck out of this thing. I love the bokeh on this thing, though I wasn't expecting to, I can see myself using this for portraits. I played around with it some this afternoon, here are a few samples.

IMG_5212.jpg


IMG_5203.jpg


IMG_5223.jpg
 
Since im a Nikon lover I dont know much about the Canon version but nikon makes a 50mm 1.8 which is great as well for 120$. Talk about bang for your buck. The bokeh is amazing.

Are you looking for critique? I'm curious as to if your posting for comments about the photos or not.
 
Not really looking for CC, but if you feel the urge, have at it. :) These are just a few snapshots I took, messing around with the lens just after it arrived. I was pretty pleased with the bokeh, sharpness, and color/contrast.
 
Hi, what body are you using those on? Did you do much in post, or are those close to how they came out of the camera?

The first flower still looks a little soft to me - maybe you were too close? (Minimum focus distance of 45cm with that lens, I think?). I agree, the bokeh looks great - lots of people criticise the bokeh on the 1.8 compared to its more expensive cousins because of the five-leaf aperture, but I like it on your first image - though it definitely has its own "character" compared to the other lenses.

I'm getting my Canon 50/f1.8 next weekend :-) looking forward to entering the world of super-sharpness... (until I can eventually afford the 85/f1.4!)
 
Last edited:
I've had mine for about a year but only recently started using it a lot. That said, I use it a LOT. It's almost always on my camera. Great lens.
 
love number 2. cracker.....
 
Hi, what body are you using those on? Did you do much in post, or are those close to how they came out of the camera?

The first flower still looks a little soft to me - maybe you were two close? (Minimum focus distance of 45cm with that lens, I think?). I agree, the bokeh looks great - lots of people criticise the bokeh on the 1.8 compared to its more expensive cousins because of the five-leaf aperture, but I like it on your first image - though it definitely has its own "character" compared to the other lenses.

I'm getting my Canon 50/f1.8 next weekend :-) looking forward to entering the world of super-sharpness... (until I can eventually afford the 85/f1.4!)

I use a 50D body. The only PP I did on these was a crop on the first one and the bw conversion/contrast adjustment on the second.

The first one is a bit soft because I shot it in low light hand held, just wanted to see how the bokeh would turn out. I'm satisfied.

I was really impressed with the close focus. I think it will really add to the versatility.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom