Canon 500mm f4 L USM

Managed to get a test shot. Overcast day and the Mourning Dove was inside my Blue Spruce. Adding up to a lighting situation that would have been unusable with my 400 F5.6 but the 500 F4 did very well. Now to get some sun so I can give it a bit better of a workout.

mourningdove by seastud, on Flickr

Managed to get a test shot. Overcast day and the Mourning Dove was inside my Blue Spruce. Adding up to a lighting situation that would have been unusable with my 400 F5.6 but the 500 F4 did very well. Now to get some sun so I can give it a bit better of a workout.

mourningdove by seastud, on Flickr
Good start! Don't be afraid to drop the shutter down lower with IS on. Try 1/500th or lower to start. It will keep the ISO down. Also stopping down the slightest bit to f4.5 or 5 will give you a touch more DOF but still give you nice subject isolation and BG

Thanks for the input. I'd probably have never tried to lower the shutter this far while hand holding. Lighting was still quite low but I'm thoroughly impressed with the IS.
500mm, F5.6, Shutter 1/640, ISO 1250

Sparrowperch by seastud, on Flickr

Damn, gratz on that lens.

Thanks for the input. I'd probably have never tried to lower the shutter this far while hand holding. Lighting was still quite low but I'm thoroughly impressed with the IS.
500mm, F5.6, Shutter 1/640, ISO 1250
The IS is great, wait until you get some good light, then you can really pull out some detail. Here is a sample at 1/500th, ISO 1000, F5 about 50% crop
George Jr. 1_8 6 by Kristofer Rowe, on Flickr

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
P.S. Made it less ugly, if only by a bit.
500mm f4.JPG

I just happened to get a new one as well so here are some tips. The bolt is 1/4"x20 by 3/4(I think) I put the ruler there so you can get an idea.. Same bolt I linked to in the video lol..
Dropbox - 0110162207.jpg
The mounts come with pretty crappy plastic knobs. There is a clip that hold them in place, I just rip the clip off with needle-nose pliers...
Dropbox - 0110162209.jpg
Remember the clips do break after lots of use. Sometimes 2 months sometimes 8. This is where they break.. Remember this is YMMV and use a failsafe. I tend to be lazy and not screw the collar over the connection so this probably affects how long they last.
Dropbox - 0110162211.jpg

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
So are you running both plates through the same hole in the foot? I was thinking of running one through each hole in the foot after putting an insert into the larger hole.

So are you running both plates through the same hole in the foot? I was thinking of running one through each hole in the foot after putting an insert into the larger hole.
I'm running them both into the front hole. It balances almost perfectly like that..

Lets put my necromancer skill to the test. lol

Bought a cheap rain cover to protect our gear while we're out. Here it is on the 500/7dmk2 combo.

IMG_0889.JPG
IMG_0890.JPG
IMG_0891.JPG

Most reactions

Back