Canon 50mm 1.8 Question

EngageTutorials

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, i am very new to photography/film about 2 days ago i bought the Canon T2i which came with the kit lense. I want to buy the Canon 50MM 1.8 II but it has no image stabilization. Will this be a problem? Or is it ok? Once i again sorry if its a stupid question.

The lack of IS means the lens will be cheaper. The rule of thumb is 1/focal length for appropriate shutter speed for hand held without IS. So with the 50mm prime, try to stay at 1/50 or shorter for the shutter speed. Now, if you're really stable hand held or using a tripod, you can go with longer shutter speeds. I'm pretty good hand held, so I can get away with 1/30 or even 1/20, but that's pushing it.

non-IS lenses are fine, until you get into telephotos, like 100+, then you want to get a lens that has IS.

non-IS lenses are fine, until you get into telephotos, like 100+, then you want to get a lens that has IS.

Nooo, then you use a monopod, tripod, or most importantly, follow the rule of thumb. Pros shot, and still shoot, with non IS tele's. IS is a tool you can choose to have, or not have, in your tool box. It is by no means necessary.

Thank you guys for the reply. I am definitely going to buy =]

It's a nice piece of glass. IS isn't that important with a fast shutter speed at 50mm.

ok, thanks ! I can tell this forum is gonna help a lot!

The nifty fifty was one of the first lenses I bought. The large aperture is amazing, and the glass quality is sufficient to get some nice shots. It'll serve you well. Mine's been collecting dust lately since I bought my Sigma 17-70 and dumped the 18-55 kit lens. But the 50 will always have it's uses and is almost a necessity in everyone's camera bag.

I'll just remind you that you're not buying an astonishing piece of engineering, here. It's crappy built, the focus ring is crappy small and not smooth. I wouldn't drop mine in the ground. Bokeh isn't the best either.

That said, it takes sharp photos. It's nice and fast at f/1.8, which I'm sure will come in handy at some point. I love mine, just don't expect metal on this lens. Nurture it like an egg, and it'll hatch some great photos....

- start with negatives: check!
- counter attack criticism with positives: check!
- cliché metaphor: check! (I feel like Bryan Peterson)
I'd make a great idol judge!

Due to the crop factor of your camera the nifty fifty becomes a 80mm prime, you should take that in consideration, it is on the border of becoming a telephoto lens so if you're shooting in tight spaces you'll need probably a 35mm 1.8 or 28mm 1.8. It is a terrific lens, I have one on my XTi all the time, it saves me from having to boost the ISO up to 1600 indoors.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back