Canon 580exII vs 430exII

wgp1987

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
580exII vs 430exII ..... which one would you recomend? why? .. why would i go with the 580, since it is the higher model? im new to photography, so flashs are new to me. i figured since i want to start making cash with this photography thing, i was told i need a good flash!

If you are going to be using it professionally I would go with the 580!

The biggest differences are that the 580 is more powerful than the 430, but it can also act as a master flash to some slaved flashes.

I have the 430 and love it, but I only do this as a hobby.

Cheers

The 580EX is;
more powerful
a little bigger
recycles faster
can be a master or slave in Canon's wireless system
can rotate 180 degrees in either direction
has a great wheel/control dial on the back
the 580 II has weather sealing.

The 430EX is certainly an adequate flash, it will probably do anything you need it to do...it just doesn't have all the power or features of the 580EX.

well for around the same price as the tamron 17-50 ill have to wait cause i need the lens more! but 580 it is, thanks

580exII vs 430exII ..... which one would you recomend? why? .. why would i go with the 580, since it is the higher model? im new to photography, so flashs are new to me. i figured since i want to start making cash with this photography thing, i was told i need a good flash!
Yes, you do need a flashgun :) It's useful in all kind of shooting :)
Here is a detailed comparison: Speedlite 430EX II vs. Speedlite 580EX II review

In short:

• More power output (58 meter vs. 43 meters, 82% more power)
  • Wireless master mode
  • White reflector card (catchlight card)
  • Weather sealing (battery compartment, shoe mount, body and head, connectors)
  • Superior controls (select dial, newer buttons design, better on/off switch)
  • External metering sensor
  • External battery pack connector
  • PC connector
  • Head turns 180 degrees to the right (430EX II does only 90 degrees)
  • Head tilts 7 degrees down (430EX II does not go down at all)
  • Six extra custom functions
canon-430ex-ii-vs-canon-580ex-ii-4.jpg
canon-430ex-ii-vs-canon-580ex-ii-11.jpg

Often over looked (albeit small - for most people) difference/advantage to the 580EX II...

The 580EX II has a built in auto-thyrister. This means the flash will provide auto a basic auto mode on almost any hot-shoe x-sync camera that obviously doesn't support Canon's proprietary e-TTL metering. Paired with the external PC connector, this makes for a wonderful compact and powerful flash for strobists traveling with multiple camera systems (Canon EOS + something else), external triggers via PC connector, and photographers with older/vintage cameras.

That alone is why I am looking to add a used 580EXII in the near future; I travel with both a Canon EOS and Leica with the 580EXII providing auto-metering for either camera. It would also make for a great flash for almost any other older camera in my collection.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back