Canon 5DX over 1D Mark 4 & 5D Mark 3

cgennoe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I do a lot of travelling, and therefore the notion of taking one camera (Canon 5DX) rather than two (1D Mark 4 & 5D Mark 3 - which I have now) is really appealing for obvious reasons:

With the 5DX, you can benefit from both full frame and cropped (1.3 & 1.6) exposures. I'd classify myself as a serious amateur but not yet being paid for my work.

But would there be photographers who have traded in their full frame and cropped cameras in order to carry one camera, the Canon 5Dx, instead?

It seems like a practical option.

Thanks in advance for advice!

When I shot Canon, I always had two bodies with me in case one failed (which luckily never happened). That was one reason why I switched to Sony mirrorless. The weight saving when carrying two bodies is quite substantial, especially regarding the tight restrictions of airplanes for carry on baggage.

I do a lot of travelling, and therefore the notion of taking one camera (Canon 5DX) rather than two (1D Mark 4 & 5D Mark 3 - which I have now) is really appealing for obvious reasons:

With the 5DX, you can benefit from both full frame and cropped (1.3 & 1.6) exposures. I'd classify myself as a serious amateur but not yet being paid for my work.

But would there be photographers who have traded in their full frame and cropped cameras in order to carry one camera, the Canon 5Dx, instead?

It seems like a practical option.

Thanks in advance for advice!

There is no "5DX" but there is a 5D IV. Is that what you are asking about? Or are you referring to "X" generically because there's a 5Ds and 5Dsr (those are specialized cameras and not ideal for general purpose photography.)

The only time I carry two bodies if I want different lenses that I can quickly flip between (if I don't have to flip between lenses quickly, I just take one body and carry the other lens(es)).

You are basing this change on a rumoured camera.

What happens when the rumours are wrong and it's not the camera you thought it was.

Wait until it is out and a real product or choose a camera that is real.

Now for the crop vs full frame benefits. You have no crop now so if narrower field of view is what you're after then sure there could be some benefit but in reality unless you have the right lenses the whole crop factor is really useless. On any lens less than 300-400mm you don't really get a lot of difference in FOV. Above this range is where you will see the real benefit so unless you have some decently long lenses, it's just a gimmick that you can do by using a different lens on the full frame.

Last edited:
When I travel, I use the OMD EM10 III
I like going light.

Most reactions

Back