Canon 60D or 650D?

BradG93

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, I am new to the site and quite new to photography. I have been using my dads old Canon EOS 350D but would like to get my own camera which is slightly more up to date. I was looking at Canon because I can still use the same lenses for a while until I get some of my own?

As I live relatively near a race track, I have started taking a few photos of various different motor sports, but I would also like to get into landscape photography and a little bit of macro for things like flowers and insects (when we actually have some decent weather in the UK!)

I have had a look at both cameras in the shop but I'm just unsure as to what one would be better for me as I am only a beginner and wouldn't want to buy something which I find hard to understand.

I have also read that there is a 700D and a 70D coming out? Would it be a good shout to wait until these come out before I purchase my own camera? As the prices of the 650D and 60D would be cheaper?

Any help is much appreciated :)

Thanks
Brad

Have you thought about possible an older, used body such as the 50D? The 50D has the ever-important micro-adjust that the 60D lacks. But if I had to choose between the 60D and 650D I would have to go with the 60D as I need the quick control dial.

Last edited:
Hi, I am new to the site and quite new to photography. I have been using my dads old Canon EOS 350D but would like to get my own camera which is slightly more up to date. I was looking at Canon because I can still use the same lenses for a while until I get some of my own?

As I live relatively near a race track, I have started taking a few photos of various different motor sports, but I would also like to get into landscape photography and a little bit of macro for things like flowers and insects (when we actually have some decent weather in the UK!)

I have had a look at both cameras in the shop but I'm just unsure as to what one would be better for me as I am only a beginner and wouldn't want to buy something which I find hard to understand.

I have also read that there is a 700D and a 70D coming out? Would it be a good shout to wait until these come out before I purchase my own camera? As the prices of the 650D and 60D would be cheaper?

Any help is much appreciated :)

Thanks
Brad
Canon 60 D is better. Only good thing with 650D is that you will get touch screen. So i would suggest go for 60D

colour_depth.gif
Better color depth22.2 bitsvs21.7 bits
help_14.gif

Distinguishes 0.5 more bits of color
weather-sealed.gif
Weather sealedYesvsNo
help_14.gif

Sealed to shoot in the rain
battery-life.gif
Significantly longer battery life1100 shotsvs440 shots
help_14.gif

2.5x more shots per battery charge
overall_quality2.gif
Better image quality66.0vs62.0
help_14.gif

Around 10% better image quality
dynamic_range.gif
More dynamic range11.5 EVvs11.2 EV
help_14.gif

0.3 f-stops more dynamic range
optical_viewfinder.gif
Larger viewfinder0.59xvs0.53x
help_14.gif

More than 20% larger viewfinder
optical_viewfinder.gif
Has a pentaprism viewfinderPentaprismvsPentamirror
help_14.gif

Pentaprism viewfinders are typically brighter
low_light.gif
Slightly lower noise at high ISO813 ISOvs722 ISO
help_14.gif

The 60D has a slight edge (0.2 f-stops) in low noise, high ISO performance
optical_viewfinder.gif
Better viewfinder coverage96%vs95%
help_14.gif

Almost the same
shutter-lag.gif
Slightly less shutter lag253 msvs269 ms
help_14.gif

Around 10% less delay when taking photos
fast_shutter.gif
Much faster max shutter speed1/8000svs1/4000s
help_14.gif

2x faster max shutter speed
fps.gif
Shoots slightly faster5.3 fpsvs5 fps
help_14.gif

Around 10% faster continuous shooting

In this situation I would go with the 60D. With the statistics shown above and also being a personal opinion. I have used a 60D and it performs quite well.

If you are going to wait you can always save some money and get a 7D. They are great for shooting sports. Its what I personally use and for moving subjects it works quite well. Just a thought.

First question I have; what lenses are you using ? Yes a saw you are using the camera of your dad. But maybe its a idea to start with a cheaper camera and invest in lenses. Lenses are more long term investment. A camera body its not ;-)

I bought my mother a 600D and I must say it makes great photos. Some times we switch cameras :D

One of the best things you can do. Is go to a shop and hand hold the two body's your self. Also experience the menu's. Witch of the two do you like the most. Both can make great photos.

Well I have been thinking about perhaps saving to get a 7D but there is a lot of pice difference and considering its just a hobby, I'm not sure I want to spend that sort of money.

I have also looked at the 600D but I wanted a body that would last me a few years? I thought seeing as the 700D is coming out soon that it would quickly be outdated?

I would recommend getting a 7d for the improved autofocus which is great for sports. I think it will be worth it to you

Hi Brad,

I am currently using a 60D and have recommended the 600D to a number of my friends who wanted essentially "high resolution point and shoot cameras"...

When I was looking at buying the 60D I also considered the 600D (650D didn't exist then) and the 7D.

I was drawn to the 7D by the maximum burst speed and dual processor but steered away because of the price.

I was drawn to the 600D by the price but steered away because of the low burst speed and also (most importantly to me) the lack of controls on the top of the camera near the shutter button.

Those top controls make changing settings much quicker and easier that navigating the screen on the 600D.

The 650D is essentially an upgraded 600D and the main differences to me are the touch screen, which could help or hinder the setting change speed depending how good it is (I don't know either way so look into it I guess) and an increased burst rate, making it more competitive with the 60D in that area.

One thing I didnt know then which I'm glad thomas30 pointed out with his tech data is the drastically lower battery life of the 600D. I now feel a little chuffed at my decision back then :)

So if you add the cost of a second battery, the 650D is closer again to the price of the 60D.

To me the only thing the 650D has going for it is the new digic 5 processor.

So to sum up, those are the reasons I chose the 60D. Ultimately I planned to move to a full frame if the photography bug hung around so the 7D was too much money to spend when it was likely to be upgraded. If you plan on flicking away from the green button, go the 60D. I think you'll agree it feels more comfortable.

from the understanding point of view, dSLR are almost all the same thing: same functions, same difficulties, etc. Physically, if you spend more you might find some better ergonomics. Almost all have also point and shoot modes if you do not want to exploit them at their full capabilities.

I personally would go 60D if you are willing to spend something more, or 600D if you want to save some money - not far from 650D, actually slightly better in image quality (same as 60D), and now cheap.
Consider that Canon policy on upgrades on entry level cameras is very very small steps from one to another, so if you find a 550D, it might as well be a bargain with no image quality loss (although you loose the flippable screen -only real upgrade 550D->600D).

Most reactions

Back