Canon 70-200mm f/4L USM or 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by dakkon76, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    for cheaper lenses look at B&H, Adorama, Amazon - it the price is much less than those places then there is a very very good chance that the store is a switch and bait operation (there appear to be a lot of them in the US)
    run a store through this website first:
    Store Ratings and Reviews by Real People - Trusted Online Shopping

Also you might try the second hand market - some of the above mentioned stores sell second hand gear (amazon is probably the most risky as it does not check the stock themselves) or try a local store

2. dakkon76

dakkon76 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I went with the non-IS version since I plan on packing a tripod or at least a monopod with me when I take this lens out. Here's one of the first shots I took with it at the full 200mm hand held... just shooting at a crappy tree from my balcony, was about 100' away. Was amazed at how sharp those pods came out on the original, so far I'm loving this lens!
    [​IMG]

3. Stilltime

Stilltime TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

I just got the 70-300 with IS, and I went with it over the L series for the IS alone. Especially since I tend to use it on the long side, and I didn't want to limit myself to having naturally perfect light in order to keep the image quality.

I've been happy with it so far. A HUGE step up from the kit lens, and the length is perfect for what I need (shoot dogs, wild life, kids, etc).

Mind you, I haven't used a lens that doesn't have IS, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I don't have the steadiest hands so...

ETA: Duh.. just saw you already got your lens. Nevermind. lol