Canon 7D with 15-85 IS lens on craigslist

ziggo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I found a too-good-to-be-true deal on Craigslist and just wanted your opinion on the matter.
The guy offers a Canon EOS 7D Body with a 15-85mm IS Lens for 500 euros. Which is less than a third of the actual price. The ad showed up as if it was from someone in Amsterdam. When I emailed the man he told me he lived in London right now and would cover the shipping costs. He also sent me some pictures of the camera body and packaging. The camera looks excellent.
Only thing I saw as suspicious is that he greyed out the serial number at the bottom of the camera. Is this a weird thing to do or am I just paranoid?

Thank you for your opinion

Hello,

I found a too-good-to-be-true deal on Craigslist and just wanted your opinion on the matter.
The guy offers a Canon EOS 7D Body with a 15-85mm IS Lens for 500 euros. Which is less than a third of the actual price. The ad showed up as if it was from someone in Amsterdam. When I emailed the man he told me he lived in London right now and would cover the shipping costs. He also sent me some pictures of the camera body and packaging. The camera looks excellent.
Only thing I saw as suspicious is that he greyed out the serial number at the bottom of the camera. Is this a weird thing to do or am I just paranoid?

Thank you for your opinion
Definitely weird. Craigslist warns against any deal that involves shipping. It's a scam.

When I was in the US, I dealt with a couple of those for laptops. Offered for sale in my area but when the seller responds he's now moved to London, lol, and never answers questions about the serial number.

On Craigslist, my rule is that if I can't see it and touch it, I don't buy it.

Ok thank you for your thoughts. As I was writing the first post I more and more felt dumb asking as it looked clearly as a scam. But its just so appealing.

Tell him you have a friend in London that will come and pick it up. I bet you will never hear from him again :)

Anybody offering electronics for substantially less than retail is a scam. Sometimes it's a bait and switch operation, sometimes a shipping scam, sometimes something else, but it's always a scam.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back