Canon 80D Lens Advice

Ok spanner in the works time - I'm wondering, as an amateur at this stage, whether I would perhaps find the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM better value for my needs...it's a massive saving and the reviews are good. Am I really going to make use of the L glass non-IS or IS? I think value wise this may be a good start and I can upgrade later. On an 80D can anyone comment on the 70-200mm vs the 55-250mm? I know they're a different league technically but what am I really going to see? Many thanks everyone...

The loss of light will be apparent. Image quality wise they're won't be a huge difference in quality light. I kept the 55-250 stm on my crop Canon for quite some time. I since have upgraded to the 300f4 is. I may not use the 55-250 ever again but I still have it in case I need the flexibility of a zoom in the future. I don't ever plan on replacing it with a 70-200, unless it's f2.8.

I'm very torn - the non IS 70-200mm L lens the 55-250mm - will have to have a think. I will be using it in daylight for the most part, landscape work, outdoors. Low light won't be an issue for it I would say.

Ok, this has gone from me being almost set to being totally confused again. This was my original plan for my kit:
  • Canon 80D body only
  • Tokina 11-20 (definitely getting)
  • Canon 70-200mm F/4/L non-IS
  • Canon 50mm F/1.8 (already own)
However now I'm considering the 55-250mm from a value perspective and the IS inclusion. I'm also now thinking of getting a kit lens upgrade (good general walk around lens) with the 80D - the 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 USM (Nano USM). So in essence the 80D and 4 lenses - this is confusing me as I could get 4 lenses (choosing the 55-250mm and 18-135mm) for slightly less than the original idea above with the L lens. That said am I then having a load of unnecessary crossover and/or getting any benefit?

Shall I stick with the original plan and do people feel it will cover most needs? As a reminder it'll be for mainly landscape work and city photography, some wildlife. It will also be in Iceland where there is low light in winter but that is not something I really need to add in to the mix perhaps right now!

Any help appreciated.

Why don't you get the lens that there is no confusion about. Shoot with it for a while, then figure out where you are lacking and base the next purchase on that? You may find that you need/want something completely different by then.

Ok, this has gone from me being almost set to being totally confused again. This was my original plan for my kit:
  • Canon 80D body only
  • Tokina 11-20 (definitely getting)
  • Canon 70-200mm F/4/L non-IS
  • Canon 50mm F/1.8 (already own)
However now I'm considering the 55-250mm from a value perspective and the IS inclusion. I'm also now thinking of getting a kit lens upgrade (good general walk around lens) with the 80D - the 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 USM (Nano USM). So in essence the 80D and 4 lenses - this is confusing me as I could get 4 lenses (choosing the 55-250mm and 18-135mm) for slightly less than the original idea above with the L lens. That said am I then having a load of unnecessary crossover and/or getting any benefit?
Shall I stick with the original plan and do people feel it will cover most needs? As a reminder it'll be for mainly landscape work and city photography, some wildlife. It will also be in Iceland where there is low light in winter but that is not something I really need to add in to the mix perhaps right now!
Any help appreciated.

that works, I'd get the 70-200 f4 over the 55-250

Thanks for your thoughts and advice. I definitely want the wide angle and low light option of the Tokina so that's an easy one.

I do want a zoom lens but I probably don't need the L lens at my current capability and planned use - I think it may go somewhat underused and I'm really not sure I want to spend money on a non-IS lens. Which leads me towards the 55-250mm as a solid starting point with the potential to upgrade later as I see how my usage goes and I get familiar with what i have. So my kit will now be:
  • Canon 80D body only
  • Tokina 11-20
  • Canon 50mm F/1.8
  • Canon 55-250mm STM F/4-5.6
I'm quite happy with this as a starting point and look forward to seeing how I get on over the next year - thanks everyone!

Thanks for your thoughts and advice. I definitely want the wide angle and low light option of the Tokina so that's an easy one.

I do want a zoom lens but I probably don't need the L lens at my current capability and planned use - I think it may go somewhat underused and I'm really not sure I want to spend money on a non-IS lens. Which leads me towards the 55-250mm as a solid starting point with the potential to upgrade later as I see how my usage goes and I get familiar with what i have. So my kit will now be:
  • Canon 80D body only
  • Tokina 11-20
  • Canon 50mm F/1.8
  • Canon 55-250mm STM F/4-5.6
I'm quite happy with this as a starting point and look forward to seeing how I get on over the next year - thanks everyone!

that's a solid starting point, if you start shooting sports or birds then you will want longer lens
(get the 55-250 STM refurbished)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back