Canon 90D vs 6d mark ii?

Tatiana_

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have an old rebel and I would like to upgrade. I’ve been dreaming of a full size sensor for a while. But 90D seems to be so fast! I take picture of my young kids mainly. Which one is better?
Why can’t they make a camera that has it all? And affordable.

Make your self a list of wants, likes dislikes what you would loose and what you would gain there are quite a few sites that a ...vs.... reviews
What lenses do you have are they EF or EFS what about mem cards, batteries
I have just looked at a site called camera decision. Com it’s set out as all one word. Putting links to other here sites is frowned upon so I will leave to you to look if you want to

If you want a camera that quote has it all and quote, then you might be waiting for a long time the Nikon D850 is it good all-around camera. The new Canon 6D Mark II is a really nice Imager. I have shot both aps-c and full frame cameras for over a decade now, and my preference is for the full size sensor because there are so many more lenses that were designed to be used on a 24 by 36 mm capture size. For example old kit lenses that were originally designed for film cameras from the 1990s are quite useful for full-frame digital SLRs.

Canon ef-s lenses do not work it all on full-frame Canon cameras, so none of your lenses from your Rebel will work on anything but a Canon crop-frame body.

The big issue is that a crop frame camera makes the vast majority of the Canon lens line lenses into something they were not originally designed to be. For example,with a Canon crop body and an 85 mm lens, you must stand over 35 feet away to get the same picture that you get with a Canon full frame at exactly 20 ft. With the same exact 85 millimeter lens . I am talking about a picture area that is 8.47 ft tall, just about the perfect height for a standing portrait of two people, with room below them and above them for their heads and feet. With a 24 mm lens setting the full frame camera takes a fairly wide angle picture, while with a crop body you have a roughly 42 mm semi normal equivalent lens.

In Social and family photography my preference is most definitely for the full frame body. It is just easier to work with in small spaces, like in living rooms, bedrooms, offices Etc. Outdoors or at long distances there is a lot to be said for an aps-c camera. One thing about the full frame body is that when you look through the viewfinder at least, the image is quite a bit bigger, and I think this makes seeing what's going on through the lens easier. If you shoot in live view. I don't think this is much of an advantage.

Last edited:
I do not think memory card ownership should be a major factor in new camera decisions. The vast majority of new memory cards of the SD card size are quite affordable, and unless you have a half dozen or more memory cards that must be replaced or if the new camera uses expensive cards such as XQD, then I think that the memory card issue is moot.

Last edited:
I will put it plainly. My choice would be the new 6D Mark II if my other choice were the Canon 90d.

If you only take photos of your young kids, either is going to be just fine. But as mentioned, it would depend on what lens you currently have. If they are all EFS, then you will need new glass to move to the 6D II. If you have EF glass already, then it really is not a comparison. The FF 6D II with it's bigger sensor will out perform the 90D, even though the 90D is the newer camera.

I currently own 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, kit 17-55. A very old 28-135, and a 55-300mm. My plan is to keep 50 and 85 and I’m planning on buying Tamron 24-70. I was going to give all my other lenses to my dad along with my old camera.
I feel like I always have to be a little too far from my kids to make the cropped sensor work.
Other full frame cameras would be overkill for my capabilities and budget at the moment. But it would be nice to have a full frame with 10fps.

If you want a camera that quote has it all and quote, then you might be waiting for a long time the Nikon D850 is it good all-around camera.

I haven’t thought about completely jumping ships into the Nikon camp. I was planing in keeping a couple of my lenses. But I guess my investment at the moment isn’t life changing. I will read about this camera. I would have to buy all new lenses... is D850 closer to 6D or Mark iv in comparison?

A 6D Mark II would be a great camera for family photographs and all types of social photography.

I currently own 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, kit 17-55. A very old 28-135, and a 55-300mm.
I feel like I always have to be a little too far from my kids to make the cropped sensor work.

I’m planning on buying Tamron 24-70.

The grass is always greener on the Full Frame (FF) side.

Your statement needs more specifics.
Like what kind of picture are you trying to shoot with which lens, and at what distance?

The problem you indicate is not an indication of the sensor size being inadequate for the task, but rather a miss-match of the lens that you are using to the task.

Example1, if you are shooting indoors with the 50mm lens, that is like an 80mm lens on a FF camera. IMHO, too long for general indoor use. You should be using a 35mm (or shorter) lens on your crop camera. And NO, Canon does not make an EF-S 35mm lens, you have to buy the Yongnuo 35/2 lens.

Example2, your crop EF-S 17-55 lens is similar to a FF EF 28-88 lens on a FF EF camera.
The Tamron 24-70 will get you more coverage, but so will a wider EF-S lens.

On a full frame camera the 28 to 135 becomes a zoom lens filled with useful focal length options ,even indoors .... your 50 millimeter lens becomes a true 50 once again not some hybridized 75 ish thing...

There are dozens of Canon EF lenses that have been made since the 1980s that are ideal for a full frame capture size,while there are perhaps two dozen or fewer EF-S lenses that have been made. As far as I know Canon has made just a handful of really good ef-s lenses, with the vast majority being low priced consumer-oriented zooms.

Last edited:
Why not now take a time to sort through all the advice from people here. Put the thoughts of changing cameras on the back burner for a few days play with the kids
Then one evening when it’s quiet and the pro and cons of different cameras have stopped rushing through your mind make your choice
You will not be the first who has chased them selves round in circles trying to work out what they want.
If I sound like I am muttering.. I have just spent months on the FF vs crop canon 5dmk3 vs 7dmk2 which do I get question.

Most reactions

Back