Canon A650 vs SD870 (IQ comparison help)

jeremy3721

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Right now I have both the A650 and the SD870 sitting on my desk. One of the cameras will have to be sold. The pros and cons of each (flip screen on A650 and small size on SD870 kind of cancel each other out in my opinion.
Can someone please give me advice on image quality comparison. I realize the A650 is 12mp and the SD879 is 8mp but I also feel that is not the only factor involved.
Anyone care to chime in with an opinion and put me out of my misery trying to decide which one to get rid of. I'm leaning towards keeping the SD870 because I like to take wide angle photos and would like to stop carrying around the adapter and extra lens that is necessary with the 650. That being said if there is a sizable gap in the image quality I'll keep the 650. I'm interested in printing up to 11X16 prints at some point to frame in my home but obviously it will only be a few photos. I mainly enjoy creating online albums on webshots for my friends, family and personal use.

well you have them both, so why don't you test it out yourself?

seems like you made this post out of laziness...

Thanks for the constructive post!!! I'm sure you've made many a new user feel welcome here.

I've spent hours researching and I have tested them but wasn't planning to go to the Grand Canyon this weekend so I can print 11X14 prints and study the detail. I'm hoping there may be some people who have had both cameras and have had a chance to compare their prints etc.

I'm not a professional and don't know how to ensure I'm accurately comparing things such as image detail.

Thanks for the constructive post!!! I'm sure you've made many a new user feel welcome here.
I really don't care.

I've spent hours researching and I have tested them but wasn't planning to go to the Grand Canyon this weekend so I can print 11X14 prints and study the detail. I'm hoping there may be some people who have had both cameras and have had a chance to compare their prints etc.

If you've spent hours researching and testing, than you should know what the answer is. You don't need the grand canyon to see detail, just go outside to your back yard or apartment parking lot, shoot the same thing with both cameras, look at both images on your computer, and than it should be obvious. Make prints if you want, costco's cheap.

I really like the flip screen. I'd keep it for that reason alone.

Yeah, that might be the ultimate reason I keep the a650. I'm going out today to take some shots to see if I can get a feel for how much I'll miss the flip screen.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back