Canon Ae-1 shutter issue

florencelouise

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi!

I have a Canon AE-1 program. It was all working fine until earlier today when it was in my bag and the battery case came off. Now the light meter and shutter aren’t working. When I switch the camera to A and test the battery it seems to work so I’m not sure what the problem is. If anyone could offer some insight that would be great!

Thanks
Florence

Do you mean the battery cover door broke off ?
If you are not getting any electricity to the system, it is most probable that the battery contacts are dirty, or the battery has insufficient power output even though the battery test lights up.

Do you mean the battery cover door broke off ?
If you are not getting any electricity to the system, it is most probable that the battery contacts are dirty, or the battery has insufficient power output even though the battery test lights up.
Hi,
So yep the battery cover door snapped open earlier today but I’ve managed to get it closed again with the cover on. The camera was working fine prior to this. When I switch the camera to A and test the battery I get rapid beeps which I think indicates it’s not a battery issue but please correct me if this is wrong!
Thanks!

ae1p.jpg

Do you hear 6 or more beeps per second?

ae1p.jpg

Do you hear 6 or more beeps per second?
Hi, yep I do currently, and I did last week when the camera was shooting normally last weeks which makes me think it’s a different issue.
Thanks!

Is this an AE-1 ... or an AE-1 program (the diagram above is NOT a Canon AE-1 ... that's an AE-1 Program ... a variation on the AE-1).

The battery powers the light meter and the electromagnetic release for the shutter. The shutter itself is basically a clockwork mechanism (the battery doesn't really power the mechanism... just the release.)

The AE-1 was my very first SLR camera back in ... I *think* 1978. It's still sitting on the shelf behind me.

The AE-1's shutter release is odd, and I found out how it works when mine didn't any more.

When you advance the film, the shutter is retained by a permanent magnet. The shutter is released by powering a coil to counteract the permanent magnet. That releases the shutter to its spring-driven motion across the frame. The shutter is not electrically driven, which gave the AE-1 very good battery life. I don't know if the Program works the same, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

On mine, the permanent magnet became weak, meaning the shutter released as soon as it was advanced, as the permanent magnet was no longer string enough to retain it. Of course, this happened on mine with a Power Winder A attached... Click-whir-click-whir-click-whir-click-whatthehell-click-whir-click-whir-endoffilm.

Sorry, this has nothing to do with your issue, but it came to mind when you said you had an AE-1 shutter problem. I actually don't know where else any connections are inside the battery compartment or the door. It may be that the line to the test is OK but the line to other circuits is broken. The door breaking off may have taken something with it inside the compartment.

Most reactions

Back