Canon AE-1

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by Kelseyleaa, May 16, 2018.

1. Kelseyleaa

Kelseyleaa TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Looking for anyone who can help me figure out the best ways to use my Canon AE-1.
    First of all, the person I bought it from said there is a on and off switch for the battery. Is this the case? Because I can’t find it anywhere.
    In a very lit, dessert area what IOS is best? And I’m not sure what the numbers on the dial opposite of the IOS mean.

2. webestang64

webestang64 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    • Like Like x 1
  3. compur

compur Been spending a lot of time on here!

The main switch is the shutter release button. Press it half way to turn on the meter.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    My EF has a lever switch on the back just under the film advance lever. I know it's very easy to accidentally bump it on, and the battery life is only marginal at best.

5. webestang64

webestang64 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Page 22 in the manual I posted above.

• Like Like x 2
  6. MartinCrabtree

MartinCrabtree No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have 3 AE-1 (and I'm a Nikon guy) . When not using I simply remove the battery. They seem to last longer than I can remember when installed. And there's a battery check function on the camera. Refer to the manual posted above. Go burn a few rolls of film. :D

7. cabledawg

cabledawg TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The "on/off" switch in the same as the self timer switch on the AE-1, which is located under the shutter release button. There should be a S, A, and L position. S is the self timer, A is the normal position and L is the Lock position. In the L position, all functions are disabled and the camera is essentially off. But Martin's comment about removing the battery is best for long periods of time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. cabledawg

cabledawg TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Looks like I missed the second part of your question. I'm assuming by "numbers on the dial opposite the [sic] IOS" you are referring to the shutter speed. Range from 1/1000 second to bulb (B). The 60 with the lightening bolt is the flash sync speed.

• Like Like x 1
  9. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Good explanation fellow buckeye. I wasn't sure what the OP meant by numbers opposite of the ISO/ASA but I thought maybe shutter speeds. I have a couple of similar Canons; not this particular camera model but with similar features.

I would guesstimate as a starting point on a bright sunny day with 100/125 ISO film to use at least f8 or smaller f11-f16 aperture and at least 1/125 or 1/250 or faster shutter speed. That's because if it's bright outside you may need a smallish aperture or a faster shutter speed to have less light coming into the camera - use the meter to determine if you need more or less light for a proper exposure. Then you'll be adjusting shutter speed and aperture til you get what the meter shows you is a proper exposure.

Another resource for camera manuals is Mike Butkus' site; you can get a copy (and if you like, make a small contribution toward offsetting costs of buying manuals, etc.). On-line camera manuals, camera repair manuals, user manuals, PDF camera manuals, free camera manuals, free PDF camera manuals, free 35mm camera instruction manuals.

You could check out Home - The Film Photography Project and besides in the film section on here, their site has a Flickr group that doubles as their message board where you can ask questions.