Canon AE-1

Kelseyleaa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Looking for anyone who can help me figure out the best ways to use my Canon AE-1.
First of all, the person I bought it from said there is a on and off switch for the battery. Is this the case? Because I can’t find it anywhere.
In a very lit, dessert area what IOS is best? And I’m not sure what the numbers on the dial opposite of the IOS mean.

The main switch is the shutter release button. Press it half way to turn on the meter.

My EF has a lever switch on the back just under the film advance lever. I know it's very easy to accidentally bump it on, and the battery life is only marginal at best.

I have 3 AE-1 (and I'm a Nikon guy) . When not using I simply remove the battery. They seem to last longer than I can remember when installed. And there's a battery check function on the camera. Refer to the manual posted above. Go burn a few rolls of film. :D

The "on/off" switch in the same as the self timer switch on the AE-1, which is located under the shutter release button. There should be a S, A, and L position. S is the self timer, A is the normal position and L is the Lock position. In the L position, all functions are disabled and the camera is essentially off. But Martin's comment about removing the battery is best for long periods of time.

Looks like I missed the second part of your question. I'm assuming by "numbers on the dial opposite the [sic] IOS" you are referring to the shutter speed. Range from 1/1000 second to bulb (B). The 60 with the lightening bolt is the flash sync speed.

Good explanation fellow buckeye. I wasn't sure what the OP meant by numbers opposite of the ISO/ASA but I thought maybe shutter speeds. I have a couple of similar Canons; not this particular camera model but with similar features.

I would guesstimate as a starting point on a bright sunny day with 100/125 ISO film to use at least f8 or smaller f11-f16 aperture and at least 1/125 or 1/250 or faster shutter speed. That's because if it's bright outside you may need a smallish aperture or a faster shutter speed to have less light coming into the camera - use the meter to determine if you need more or less light for a proper exposure. Then you'll be adjusting shutter speed and aperture til you get what the meter shows you is a proper exposure.

Another resource for camera manuals is Mike Butkus' site; you can get a copy (and if you like, make a small contribution toward offsetting costs of buying manuals, etc.). On-line camera manuals, camera repair manuals, user manuals, PDF camera manuals, free camera manuals, free PDF camera manuals, free 35mm camera instruction manuals.

You could check out Home - The Film Photography Project and besides in the film section on here, their site has a Flickr group that doubles as their message board where you can ask questions.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back