Canon and Nikon and Sony....oh my!

b_twill

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Y'all!

Been scouring the forum and web trying to decide which camera to buy. My current camera is an "Advance P&S" Panasonic DMC-FZ7 and would like to upgrade to a DSLR. I think I'm down to either a Canon T3i or Nikon D5100 from what I've read, these are very similar cameras. My main interests are landscapes, wildlife and flowers/macro, I also would like to do more night/star photography too. Would either of these cameras be better than the other? Any others out there that would fit the bill? Also, I have read that the kit lens leave something to be desired, what lens should I look into getting?
I have not gone out and actually fondled any cameras yet, as I would like to be as informed as possible before so I can buy what fits my needs rather than what an "informed" big box store employee thinks I should get.

Well, I have the Canon T2i (same sensor as the T3i) and my dad has the Nikon D5100. We've gone out shooting side by side and the image quality of our photos is virtually indistinguishable. Although we each like to claim our own is vastly superior to the other's. :lol:

So between those two, it's really just a matter of taste. Go to the store and handle each of them, see how they feel to you. Play with the buttons and flip through the menus. You may find one system suits you much better.

Oh, and I should mention that video capability is very low on the priority list...if I wanted a video camera, I would buy a video camera! :p

D5100 has less noise at higher ISO, better battery life, more focus points, more dynamic range, built in HDR, shoots slightly faster with a little less shutter lag, has about 6 more lenses available than the t3i. It also has a larger sensor and less start up delay, better image quality and color

T3i has a built in auto focus motor, higher true resolution, and larger viewfinder and a higher resolution screen

I got all this from a review of the 2 cameras at snapsort.com. The d5100 was the winner in this review. I have the d5100 and am happy with it.

Any brand you choose whould work just fine as long as you learn about photography first! Go to a local photography store and try a few out. One advantage for nikon, in my opinion, is the lens mount. With nikon you can use almost any lens(besides a few invasive fisheyes) they've ever made on almost every body they've ever made, digital and film. Some features may not work on lower end consumer model bodies(d3000/d3100, d5000/d5100, like metering and autofocus(AF-D lens need your camera body to have an focus motor).

d90/d80's have in body motors(for AF-D lens) but will not meter early manual focus ais lens.

D7000 has an in body motor(AF-D lens) and will meter with manual focus ais lens.

Pro end bodies will pretty much work with any lens(besides invasive fisheyes) you mount to it.

But I'll add again, any brand you choose will work just fine as long as you put learning about photography first!

I would suggest a refurb D90 or lightly used over the D5100.... I am not a huge fan of menu diving for settings.

If the budget is there (or even close) get a D7000. With the D7K or D90, you will be much happier much longer.

Sorry, no info on caNons, I have only used Nikon my whole life....

p!nK

has about 6 more lenses available than the t3i.

I do not understand about this, would you explain why you said D5100 has 6 more lenses available then T3i?

Well, Nikon and various 3rd party manufacturers makes lenses for Nikon cameras. Same thing with Canon. Of the 100+ lenses which are compatible with each of these cameras, Nikon ends up with a few more.

the whole comparing who has the largest library of lenses is a ludicrous method of deciding your camera; rather look at the lenses themselves and pick that way if you're going to evaluate the lenses as a whole (quality not quantity). i shoot nikon. don't plan to move cause of the investment already made into some good lenses and future wish list lenses im saving up for and all the other added accessories; but one thing i will hand to Canon is the availability of mid-range 'pro' grade glass...the selection of F4 L glass is outstanding...sadly Nikon hasn't truly picked up on this yet. they started but they're no where near what canon has to offer...they (canon) actually have what can be seen as three tiers of lenses....dont know what they're called in their marketing but essentially you have a entry. prosumer and pro level quality glass. not in terms of price (which shows as well i guess) but in terms of whats on offer in each tier....

Also.. I'm pretty sure no one will dispute that Canon bests Nikon as far as video is concerned. I initially purchased a D5100, and swapped for a T3i. I'm not upset one bit.. I have really large hands and the T3i simply felt better.

has about 6 more lenses available than the t3i.

I do not understand about this, would you explain why you said D5100 has 6 more lenses available then T3i?

Well, Nikon and various 3rd party manufacturers makes lenses for Nikon cameras. Same thing with Canon. Of the 100+ lenses which are compatible with each of these cameras, Nikon ends up with a few more.

But their primes are not as fast and not as many

But their primes are not as fast and not as many

or as BIG. LOL Like the Canon 5200mm f/14 lens

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I have read that the kit lens leave something to be desired.....
All lenses leave something to be desired, and have to be used within their limitations.

The kit lenses of today are head and shoulders better than the kit lenses of 5 years ago. It would be better to call them consumer grade lenses, though the camera makers discount the 'kit' lenses quite a bit when they are sold with a camera body rather than separately.

Camera makers usually have 2 other grades of lens: prosumer grade, and professional grade.

Prosumer and pro lenses usually cost more than the camera.

If you're gonna choose the Canon brand, just get their printers and xerox machines. They're good at it.

Go for Nikon.

Thanks for the info! I'm leaning toward the Nikon, guess it's time to go play with each one. Really hoping someone will have a good deal on them next weekend!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back